Gasket and Freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Default Gasket and Freeze plug

Hi everyone,
I am not new to camaro's they have and always will be my favorite car next to the 69 mustang gt... I'm not a noob when comes to working on engines I was always into my 89 Rs for one reason or another time and age more than anything. the engine finally died on that one and my ex-wife made me sell it. a few years later and a couple of attorneys later i finally decided to buy a 94 3.4 camaro.. the only thing wrong with this one when i got it was it needed a paint job and a headlight. so a year later normal maintenance i found alot of rust in the coolant and it has a leaking freeze plug and it i believe has decided now is the time to sling all the intake gaskets and the oil plug on the back of the engine is leaking... my question is take it out and replace all the gaskets including the rear main and head gaskets or sell it and find another to play with i dont mind taking the time to give it life and just get a kick around vehicle to get me to work until its finished i know its a low horse power engine and its an oldie but i also know the potential this lil car has (nothing compared to what you can get from and older generation camaro) but still ...

so any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

im always down for saving a car. if you like it fix it, if you want something with some more power sell it and get something different.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would think twice before going down this path. you could easily spend more on the repairs than you can get for the car once your done. you should do head gaskets, intake gaskets, all soft plugs, front and rear mains. oil pump while your there. going this far would make a guy think may as welll rebuild and that would be a good idea if you were keeping the car.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM

ok i think i have decided to keep it and make my personal project....
today i went out and started taking it apart, took a few good shots of the engine compartment before i started, i didnt get too invasive into it today i just wanted to clear the big stuff away so i can see what i am getting myself into..turns out the guys i got the car from was full of total bs its missing bolts on the alternator the water pump has one missing and i found oil in the air intake on by the map might sound like its not worth it but when i get done this car will built by me for me just the way i always wanted one to be....
i know you guys think this could be pointless or cost too much but we all have that one car that if we had kept it even if we totaled it later that will always be the ONE we tell the stories about that have meaning right?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Default gave up

well it seems my time is not open to saving this one after all so im gonna have to sell it to someone who wants to try and save up to find another one later one...............

Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear member

geez, i just saw this post. im the sameway. even if i totaled this car, i would keep it. ive worked hard on this camaro so far and ive only had it a short time. thats upsetting to see that you are getting rid of it. i have a 94 3.4l as well. too bad i dont have any money to buy a car. id try to buy yours.