Garage Find Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Garage Find Help Needed

So here's what's happening:
Following the local Craigslist ads I found a '94 6 cylinder that fit my budget. Ad stated that it had been stored in a garage for the last seven years, but that it had run fine when it was parked. I went and looked at it and it did look as though it hadn't seen the light of day in quite a while. The previous owner had put in "some" gas so we tried to get it running but with no success. I said what the hell and bought it anyway.

Hauled it over to a buddy's shop where we put it on a battery charger, pounded about a tablespoon of dust out of the aircleaner, disconnected the two thingy's on the air tube to the throttle body, and shot some injector cleaner into the throat and whoo-hoo, it ran. Briefly. Sounded pretty good, too. Stopped spraying the injector cleaner and it quit running. Oh, by the way we had dumped a couple more gallons of gas into the tank. Tried starting without using the injector cleaner, but no joy.

Starting with the cheap stuff first, I've ordered a OEM fuel filter. Should be here in a couple of days. My logic is that if it had sat that long, there was probably a bunch of crud in the fuel tank and that has found it's way to the fuel filter where it clogged up the system. My buddy listened for but did not hear the fuel pump running. Was the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter pressurized because of the crud in the line? I'll find out when I install the new filter.

That's what I've done so far.

Broad question: With a car sitting for so long, what else should I attend to?

Oil looks good, no grock on the shiny oil filter, Trans fluid is still pink-ish, washer fluid still flows, wiper blades are toast, hood struts hold the hood up, but back glass struts are inop (are there two different Stabilus struts used?), battered and broken aftermarket body panel kit and tattered bra are all in the trash. There are a multitude of little broken, non essential things that will be taken care of in time, but I need to get it running safely and dependably before I start shelling out the nickel and dimes.

I realize the car is 21 years old and has the history commensurate with it's age. It's a project.

By the way, in your comments (assuming there will be some) please describe the acronyms you use. I'm not a mechanic, gear-head, or new technology oriented guy. I'm still of the points and condenser generation.

Thanks in advance for any help you way more knowledgeable mechanics, gear-heads, and new technology guys can give! It's greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change all fluids. test fuel pressure, fuel pump may have been weak before it sat.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:32 PM
4th Gear Member

? how long did it sit can play a role to ,sounds like it sat for a long time ,can be good an bad ,fluids like said ,check the plugs wires ,would change all that too,if you get it to run good ,? miles on it are what high low yes get it runing first

Old 09-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by johno97007
My buddy listened for but did not hear the fuel pump running. Was the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter pressurized because of the crud in the line? I'll find out when I install the new filter.
You'd still hear the pump run/prime when you turn the key on, even if the filter or lines are crudded up. Your pump isn't working. Either it's the pump itself that's bad, or a bad relay or wiring connection.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The car had sat for 7 years in a garage. It was driven around the block about 3 years ago.
It has 133,xxx miles on it so it was driven less than 10,000 miles a year when it was on the road. PO stated in ad that there were no mechanical issues.

Thanks Camaro 69 for the info. I'll check again for fuel pump run. We may have had the sequence wrong. Hoping to get by with out a new pump, although they are fairly cheap and I have a guy that can install it. I did check the 15 amp fuse, "relay", on the left side of the dash and it appeared to be fine. Where are the other wiring connections besides on the pump itself?

As soon as it runs, I'll run it through one of the local places and have the engine, transmission, and differential oils changed along with the appropriate filters. Brake fluid flush, then because Arizona, have the AC checked. Obviously I haven't been able to try that.

We'll see if the battery held a charge for two days.

More as it develops.

Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:12 AM
4th Gear Member

a new battery would probley be best ,i have not yet hear of one takeing a charge that was siting for 7 years ,the gas in the tank need to make sure does not smell like kerosen ,drain it an put new gas in it before you start it

Old 09-28-2015, 11:13 AM
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the find and buy.

I would probably pull the pump relay and jumper power over into pump just in hearing it work.
If it does work, I would drain/pump the fuel into my B&S lawn mower and replace with fresh fuel and cycle the new fuel through the fuel rails.
Once I did this action, I would pour in a can of injector cleaner in the tank at the next fill-up and exercise the Camaro.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by johno97007
Where are the other wiring connections besides on the pump itself?
The fuel pump harness plug up in the bulkhead (from under the car) can be a connection where corrosion can form and prevent the pump from working.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Today's update: Got and installed fuel filter...nothing but bad gas came out.
Tried to hear the fuel pump...couldn't hear it. Ordered a new one.
Battery only held about 8 volts (according to the dashboard) after being on the charger for about 4 hours on Saturday (today is Monday). Gonna price them out locally and install.

On the positive side, being under the car showed it to be rust free...yeah a few rusty areas, but nothing that would indicate rusted through. Mostly nice and bright.

A little bit of seepage around the differential...didn't appear to be serious. Will know more after it's steam cleaned.

More as it develops.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
Congrats on the find and buy.

I would probably pull the pump relay and jumper power over into pump just in hearing it work.
If it does work, I would drain/pump the fuel into my B&S lawn mower and replace with fresh fuel and cycle the new fuel through the fuel rails.
Once I did this action, I would pour in a can of injector cleaner in the tank at the next fill-up and exercise the Camaro.

Where is the pump relay and how do you jump it? BTW don't have a lawn mower.

How do you cycle it through the fuel rails and where are they? (told ya I'm really old school)

Injector cleaner? Would "Seafoam" work? I've used it before on my old Sunbird.

Quick Reply: Garage Find Help Needed