Full Synthetics SuperTech vs. Mobil 1?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Question Full Synthetics SuperTech vs. Mobil 1?

I know some seem to swear by Full Synthetics, and I agree, I researched to understand the benefits.

But what about WalMart's SuperTech vs. Mobil 1? I have used the former exclusively, and no issues to speak of, but not the later. Anyone have any reasons why Mobil 1 wins in any way except emptying my pocket quicker at nearly twice the cost?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

just the quality of the product the mobile one will last a little longer then the supertech. i do my oil changes every 5k mile with mobile one. im sure if you compared the two after you drain the oil the supertech would be a little thinner then the mobile one. as far as price if you shop around a little bit you can find some good deals on mobile one. i pick up a cases of mobile one at sams club for 32 bucks im pretty sure the last time i went to a chain auto parts store a 5.1 quart jug was 28 bucks and most of the time there running deals for a free mobile one oil filter with it. that sure beats the 99 dollars the jiffy lube tries to charge for a mobile one service. im sure if your changing the oil when your suppossed to i dont see why there would be a problem with the supertech

Old 09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Tech Droid

Most oils labeled as full synthetics are really petroleum based. At one time the only true full synthetics were Mobil 1, and Amsoil. Amsoil was using a synthetic base provided by Mobil. Some years back the was a court case between Mobil and the other synthetic vendors, where Mobil claimed it was selling the only true synthetic, while the other group contended that even though they used a petroleum base, their lubricants were processed to the point where they no longer resembled the original petroleum base. Story short, Mobil lost the case and the others were allowed to claim their product were full synthetic. Synthetics now have two bases, base #3 is a petroleum base, and base #4 is true synthetic. Because of the court case any oil based on the #3 or #4 base can be called a full synthetic, and because #3 stuff is cheaper, that is what is usually sold. At this point it is not clear if Mobil 1 and Amsoil are still using the #4 base.

Regardless of what the judge said, oils using the #4 base are still a better product than those the #3 stuff. They have a better viscosity range and flow better at low temperatures and can withstand higher temps and pressures without breaking down. That is one reason that some manufacturers required use of Mobil 1 only.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Overdrive Member
Wink

Pete, you're always posting useful information -- thanks.

Too bad the full synthetics do not show a breakdown of the percentages of the bases on the labeling -- this is just another typical game companies play with consumers. Really annoying and hard to know what value you are buying.

If anyone finds some more information on determining these bases across the various brands, I am all ears.

I wonder what the quality is of Amsoil & Mobil 1 today, WRT bases, also about SuperTech -- that kind of analysis would be invaluable...

Originally Posted by z28pete
Most oils labeled as full synthetics are really petroleum based. At one time the only true full synthetics were Mobil 1, and Amsoil. Amsoil was using a synthetic base provided by Mobil. Some years back the was a court case between Mobil and the other synthetic vendors, where Mobil claimed it was selling the only true synthetic, while the other group contended that even though they used a petroleum base, their lubricants were processed to the point where they no longer resembled the original petroleum base. Story short, Mobil lost the case and the others were allowed to claim their product were full synthetic. Synthetics now have two bases, base #3 is a petroleum base, and base #4 is true synthetic. Because of the court case any oil based on the #3 or #4 base can be called a full synthetic, and because #3 stuff is cheaper, that is what is usually sold. At this point it is not clear if Mobil 1 and Amsoil are still using the #4 base.

Regardless of what the judge said, oils using the #4 base are still a better product than those the #3 stuff. They have a better viscosity range and flow better at low temperatures and can withstand higher temps and pressures without breaking down. That is one reason that some manufacturers required use of Mobil 1 only.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Tech Droid

Did some more digging on the subject. It appears that in Europe, oils claiming to full synthetic must use a synthetic base stock (#4). New BMW cars must use "real" full synthetic oil. And this is the list of what is available in the US. Notice that some brands must be labeled European formula.
The Mobil 1 USA web site state that Mobil 1 synthetics are petroleum based (base #3)
except for 0W40 which uses a synthetic base. Nothing like a little contradiction.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-
Mobil 1 0W-40 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Synthetic Engine Oils - BMW North America

Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Default Another question

I don't put on a lot of miles, is it ok to go a more than a year without an oil change if I use Mobil 1?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kendough
I don't put on a lot of miles, is it ok to go a more than a year without an oil change if I use Mobil 1?
Now a days you could probably get away with it if your using a full synthetic oil. I think they're something like every 7500 miles or so. But that's granted you drive it on warm (not hot) days, and aren't doing a lot of short trip or stop and go driving.

Regardless, I change mine every 3000 miles and I use Mobil 1 "Full Synthetic". Once I get time to completely rebuild the engine, I'll be switching to Royal Purple.