Front or rear sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Front or rear sway bar.

I recently ordered a hotchkins adjustable panhard rod and wanted to get a sway bar to go with it.
I can only afford one so I'm wondering if a front or rear bar will have the greatest influence on handling on an 01 ls1 fbody.

Which should I get, and which will make the car handle and turn better.
Cheers!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sway bars should be bought in pairs. changing one without the other will make the front and back sway at different rates.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
sway bars should be bought in pairs. changing one without the other will make the front and back sway at different rates.
Certainly you can run just one, I'm only running one panhard front/back, why not one sway left/right?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think you miss understood me. you should get the front and rear sway bars as a set. if the front sticks and the rear sways you can lose traction and tweek the body over time. yes there is only one panhard bar and unless your just using car for straight driving like on the track its a really good idea to have one.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
i think you miss understood me. you should get the front and rear sway bars as a set. if the front sticks and the rear sways you can lose traction and tweek the body over time. yes there is only one panhard bar and unless your just using car for straight driving like on the track its a really good idea to have one.
I can't afford a pair though, I was planning on using just one for my DD.
Isn't it worth it to get a new front bar regardless of if you upgrade rear or not

Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you can do them one at a time. it is not recomended. what are you lookin at? 32 solid or 35 hollow?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Overdrive Member

If $ is a problem, get some used 32/19 SS sways and some poly endlinks and body mounts -- since you have a V8, you only need the front bar, as you should already have a 19mm rear bar.

If you can swing it, look at the 35/22 hollow Strano sways -- you want them to be balanced -- don't go larger in the rear than this unless your application is drag.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am curious as to why you did the pan hard bar before you did the sway bars? Is your car lowered? I would defiantly think you would get more from sways then a pan hard bar. You may want to check out some auto cross forums I have hear that a hvy rear swap bar can cause handling issues IF you do not have the correct type of shocks. I am not going to try to quote from memory exactly what you need or where the issue starts but I remember a post from a guy that upgraded his rear sway and dropped his lap time almost a full second because the rear became loose. New shocks fixed the problem.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
If $ is a problem, get some used 32/19 SS sways and some poly endlinks and body mounts -- since you have a V8, you only need the front bar, as you should already have a 19mm rear bar.

If you can swing it, look at the 35/22 hollow Strano sways -- you want them to be balanced -- don't go larger in the rear than this unless your application is drag.
UMI Performance 2112-B - UMI Performance Solid Front Sway Bars - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for a little more you can get a strano hollow 35mm. Strano Performance Parts - Parts Search

Quick Reply: Front or rear sway bar.