Fogs not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Fogs not working

My fog lights haven't worked since I got my 02. Sometimes the light on the switch works, but not always. The switch (and surrounding areas) is also really, really hot. Any ideas on what's up? Thanks.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

This is an issue of not enough information. Did you buy it new or used. Did you try replacing a fog light to see if it's the lights? Did you check the fuse or circuit to see if you have power threw the system?

Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

In my 01 the fog and asr switches get hot when they're illuminated whether the fogs are on or not. Are both lights not working or just one?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by mfmfim
This is an issue of not enough information. Did you buy it new or used. Did you try replacing a fog light to see if it's the lights? Did you check the fuse or circuit to see if you have power threw the system?
I bought it used. The fuse looks fine. I haven't replaced the fogs, as I just haven't been around to it due to more serious problems.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by J-Factor
In my 01 the fog and asr switches get hot when they're illuminated whether the fogs are on or not. Are both lights not working or just one?
Neither work. That's partially why I assumed it wasn't the bulbs, but the heat from the switches seemed abnormal to me; they get so hot that you can't touch them for more than a few seconds or it'll burn.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Metalvayne
Neither work. That's partially why I assumed it wasn't the bulbs, but the heat from the switches seemed abnormal to me; they get so hot that you can't touch them for more than a few seconds or it'll burn.
i don't care if it's an automobile, home or skyscraper, resistance to current creates heat.

The lower the gauge wire you use, the less resistance and thus, less heat.

A switch should not get hot be it in the home or auto. If you place a resistor (or load) in line of a wire then you will feel heat. Or, if you use lower gauge wire than you should, again, heat. A short also makes real nice heat as ground is a heck of a load.

A switch simply "breaks" the flow of generally the "hot" lead.

Perhaps you have corroded or exposed wires, too many things tapped into the one lead, who knows. It's time to do contortions and get upside down and look under the dash and feel the wires coming to the switch.

The take away you need from this is that your dealing with DC and it's not troubleshooting an automobile, it's an electrical issue and the theory and process is the same for all, not just for cars.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:35 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
i don't care if it's an automobile, home or skyscraper, resistance to current creates heat.

The lower the gauge wire you use, the less resistance and thus, less heat.

A switch should not get hot be it in the home or auto. If you place a resistor (or load) in line of a wire then you will feel heat. Or, if you use lower gauge wire than you should, again, heat. A short also makes real nice heat as ground is a heck of a load.

A switch simply "breaks" the flow of generally the "hot" lead.

Perhaps you have corroded or exposed wires, too many things tapped into the one lead, who knows. It's time to do contortions and get upside down and look under the dash and feel the wires coming to the switch.

The take away you need from this is that your dealing with DC and it's not troubleshooting an automobile, it's an electrical issue and the theory and process is the same for all, not just for cars.
Thank you for the input. I haven't touched the wiring at all because I'm no good with the electrical side of things. I'll have to get some help in person.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep, good idea. it could be a short or too many things hooked to the switch. also maybe the lights have been switched to a different style like an old hid that require lots of amps for the ballast's.