Another New Guy Looking At A Camaro

Old 12-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Default Another New Guy Looking At A Camaro

Well I spent about 4 hours just reading the fourms last night just to get an idea about 4th gen Camaros. Found many useful topics btw (if i get one lol). This would be my first Camaro but I have owned a 82 Firebrid and an 84 Firebird.

The Camaro is a 1996 3.8 V6 with 160k on the engine. It's white and the body looks mint, paint doesn't even have your wash swirls and if it's because it was repainted they paid out some cash for the good stuff. The interior is nice, no stains in the seats all panels are clean and the only problems i seen is ash tray lid didn't wanna open without the feel of braking it and small crack in the dash right at the center vent. Looks as if someone broke it trying to take it out because it's not even faded anywhere else on the dash.

Ok the most important part, the engine. It was really clean not knocking or rattleing. But there seemed to be a really small leak on the driver side valve cover gasket top side. didn't seem to leak at the bottom side of the cover and the top side leak didn't seem like much because it was also dry couldn't see any wet oil.

TheCheck engine light popped on when i started it up. It also had a smell to the exhaust, much like the smell of having a bad o2 sensor. Had problem with my o2 sensors on my Avenger and the smell was just like it. I asked him and he said he took it to the chevy dealer and they said it was a fuse that he had taken care of that day. Called him today and asked if he had taken care of the probelm and he said yes it was the fuse again. Now this guy isn't the everyday car salesmen. It's a couple guys that old a mech shop and thoght they woudl try their luck at selling cars. He doesn't do a well job pulling the stuff the other do. The smell went away after taking it on a test drive, again much like the probelm i was having on the avenger. Mygut is that it isn't a fuse but maybe the o2 sensor throwing code. (edit: Couldn't really go off the smoke because it was cold as, well it was really cold out and the smoke was'nt seen after the test drive.)

The brakes felt really weaktrying to stop extremly fast from about 45 mph. I found a topic last nightwith someone else about this and think it may also be glazed rotors.Did drum breaks come standard? I couldn't get down there and look at everything i wanted because I was late getting out there and had my daughter runnning around the parking lot.

Hehas it listed for$2600, it's 963800 series v6 with 160k on it. Car fax says 1 owner with no mishaps. I'm positive i can get it for 2400 and 90% sure i can get him lower than that. It's hand crank windows and push lock.Not a big deal to me asI find it comforting I don't have to worry about window motors anymore. Does this sound like good deal? think KBB private party said it'swas worh about 2800-2900 range, dealer think was about 4100. He'sselling this at private party value he said because he had it before his dealershipdeal came thru. He's also in the middle on nowhere. Not a place you go look for a car lol. It's a repair shop turned into a car lot.

Well sorry for the long post but was trying to get as much information out there asI could. I would like to know what you guys think of the car from what i posted, Worried a little about the miles. I'm also going back tomarrow to look at it with the wife this time and would like to know if there is anything I should be looking for this time around. THanks in advance. Oh and it's one of the few cars my daughter has given approval of lol.

EDIT: It also just past VA State Inspection

Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Another New Guy Looking At A Camaro

It more than likely has drums. Drums came standard on the rear, but they had a "performance" option for the 3.8 called the Y87 Package. This came with a Limited Slip w/3.42 rear gears, rear discs, a dual outlet exhaust, and sport steering rack.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Whoa...that was a long post! Just for other members benefit I'll toss in the cliff notes version:

1996 3.8 with 160K on it. Body and interior are in mint condition. SES light is on, but the owner says it's a bad fuse, the OP thinks it's probably a bad O2 sensor because it smells as if it's running rich. The seller (who happens to be a repair shop that was turned into a small dealership operation) is asking $2600 but we all know they'll go lower. KBB on the car private party is $2900 or so and dealer is $4100.

To answer some of your questions. The mileage sounds like it's a little on the high side, although the cars are known to be pretty robust. I would say as long as it's been taken care of correctly and you know your way around the car if something happens to go wrong it sounds like a good deal. Usually the condition of the interior and exterior of the car is a good indication of the life it's lived, so you are probably good on the "taking care of it" portion. Check the door jams as well as the area around the seal for the trunk and hood and see how clean/dirty they are. Often times people will pretty up the exterior and interior, but they'll overlook these areas. If they're clean you know your seller pays a good attention to detail and has probably taken care of the car. Your thoughts on the bad O2 sensor could be correct, but it could be something else that determines mixture such as the MAF. Luckily most of those are pretty easy to replace. If you go back and the SES light is still lit, ask the seller if you can borrow the car to have it scanned (1996 so it's OBDII, you should be able to get it scanned at an Auto Zone or any place like that) so you can pull the code and see what the computer is reporting as the issue. I would say overall it sounds like a pretty decent deal.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

It more than likely has drums. Drums came standard on the rear, but they had a "performance" option for the 3.8 called the Y87 Package. This came with a Limited Slip w/3.42 rear gears, rear discs, a dual outlet exhaust, and sport steering rack.
And it was Automatic only. [&:]

Old 12-11-2008, 05:05 PM

thanks 95 for summing it up, I just didn't wanna leave things out. I test drove it at night and didn't know the area but i really wanted to hit up advance auto to check the code. And i'll make sure to check those areas out.

Going in the late mourning tomarrow and i've located an auto zone that will let me borrow a code reader, so I almost hope it is on because even if it's just a fuse, somthing is blowing it and I'd like to know what. The biggest thing the is bothering me about the car is that he has another car there I like and it cost about a grand more, but he seems to want to keep me on the camaro. I would understand it if the price was swapped but have no clue why someone would rather me buy the cheaper car. LOL maybe he's nice and the other car is a bad pick, lol if life only worked that way.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear member

The 3800 V6 is a stout motor and almost bulletproof I have not had to touch anything on my motor yet and im up to 175K miles.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:47 PM
2nd Gear member

well personally I think it sounds like a pretty sweet deal. If you are mechanically inclined in any way, should be an easy fix for the heavy fuel mixture. another thing to check with the o2's is they can actually work there way loose causing it to throw a code. But definately get a obd reader and get it checked out, if it is o2's your probably looking about 200 bucks plus an hour of your time.

Search this Thread