exhaust manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
i hear port an polishing the heads can get 40hp
well im at around $2500 on the build now. going to see if i can swap an engine into it if that would be cheaper.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

vette headers won't fit, gotta be 4th gen lt1 headers. these vavle cover gaskets are reusable, need to clean surfaces good. you sure its not the power steering pump or the a/c it has oil in it too.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
vette headers won't fit, gotta be 4th gen lt1 headers. these vavle cover gaskets are reusable, need to clean surfaces good. you sure its not the power steering pump or the a/c it has oil in it too.
i see i know for sure that i want some shortys, i was thinking about maybe doing an engine swap instead 396 built shortblock
i am unsure what exactly it is all i know is its coming from near the exhaust manifold and its smoking like a mother ****er from burning. It just started happend after my mechanic did a valve job he did reuse the gaskets but as you stated that was ok.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the oil pressure sensor. it can leak. looks like an ok deal, not so sure i would trust someone i had never delt with though. is the guy willing to warrenty it

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear member

check the oil pressure sensor. it can leak. looks like an ok deal, not so sure i would trust someone i had never delt with though. is the guy willing to warrenty it
i found it is the valve cover gasket leaking i can feel oil on the back side of it and the gasket in the back is basically not even in the valve cover its sticking out. u are right i shouldnt trust my mechanic i always gotta watch this guy lol. well good thing is that he is doing the build for me for free but i will be watching him with a close eye.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:35 PM
4th Gear Member

? bit confused you have spent 2500.00 on the engine ,an your mech works for free seems you could have bought a crate engine almost ,yes its the valve cover gaskets leaking oil to the exhuast ,port an polish should have been done when the heads were off ,its one of the best ways to get more hp ,when rebuilding

Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
? bit confused you have spent 2500.00 on the engine ,an your mech works for free seems you could have bought a crate engine almost ,yes its the valve cover gaskets leaking oil to the exhuast ,port an polish should have been done when the heads were off ,its one of the best ways to get more hp ,when rebuilding
no this is still my old engine.i have not decided if i should buy a crate engine or just build my current motor. yes i figured it was the valve cover because i reached back there and felt so much oil lol. i opened it up and the gasket wasent placed in the valve cover so the back part of the gasket was outside of the cover. I started the car after replacing the valve cover gasket and its burning the oil off i let it burn for like 15min. i am just going to go back there with some degreaser and call it a day.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh, its hard to get them gaskets in wrong.
get the exhaust and headers first. save for stroker unless your sure this one is a good engine, it is a good deal if it is. would not be kool to get it and find a crack after getting it all together. lt1 stoker short block done right in a good shop will run around 3k, at least last time i looked thats what they were. thow some le2 heads and ported intake with a custom cam and you got it. should gain good hp.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 PM
2nd Gear member

woh, its hard to get them gaskets in wrong.
get the exhaust and headers first. save for stroker unless your sure this one is a good engine, it is a good deal if it is. would not be kool to get it and find a crack after getting it all together. lt1 stoker short block done right in a good shop will run around 3k, at least last time i looked thats what they were. thow some le2 heads and ported intake with a custom cam and you got it. should gain good hp.
Yeah i am unsure as to how truthfully his ad is. Craiglist is a flip of a coin so you never know. Well at the moment im saving up money so we will see how much money i am going to have.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:00 PM
4th Gear Member

yes be careful theres an lt1 build to 383 stage 2 kit 1599.00 ebay, lt4 short block 383 $3600.00,just some ideas i was going to buy a used lt1 before my wild swap ,1000.00 supoed to have had only 18.000 miles ,we just never know with used ,buy rebuilt or remanned an we get a better chance of a desent angine

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-11-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold gaskets