engine will not start!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
IMO step one is get a test light on the small wire on the starter. See if it lights when someone tries to start it. It could just be a dead starter.

If it does not light then play with the dash stuff.

Am I wrong in thinking we have had other people that had the security light on for a long time only to have it start causing issues much later? Normal a Key by pass fixes it up?
Ok.Thanks .Now where did I put that damn funny looking key???

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
You can test the starter and solenoid by yourself using just a very small screwdriver, a long jumper wire with clips, and a fuse (do not use the IGN fuse): Remove the top of the fuse/relay box. Remove the STARTER relay. Gently stick the tip of the small screwdriver into terminal slot B6 as shown. Connect one end of the jumper to the screwdriver. Use a fuse connected to the other end of the jumper and touch the free end of the fuse to the battery positive terminal. The ignition need not be on. The starter should operate as long as you hold the fuse to the positive terminal of the battery.
Thanks for the pictures without them I dont think I would have felt comfortable attempting this myself.Cant wait to get out there and try it out.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
IMO step one is get a test light on the small wire on the starter. See if it lights when someone tries to start it. It could just be a dead starter.

If it does not light then play with the dash stuff.

Am I wrong in thinking we have had other people that had the security light on for a long time only to have it start causing issues much later? Normal a Key by pass fixes it up?
This is probably a stupid question but ,to clarify your saying that with the test light on the small wire on the starter try and start it with the ignition key correct?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:15 AM
2nd Gear member

That is correct. However, it may be very difficult to access that terminal on the starter solenoid. It may be blocked by the exhaust manifold from above. You may be able to reach it from under the car. That is why I suggested the alternate method for testing it.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That is correct. However, it may be very difficult to access that terminal on the starter solenoid. It may be blocked by the exhaust manifold from above. You may be able to reach it from under the car. That is why I suggested the alternate method for testing it.
lol!!
No
I would rather not get under the car .Especially if its not necessary .I see now common sense should have told me the "purple wire to starter " referred to in the picture was the OTHER end!! Perfect example of why I have not attempted this on my own !!

My smarter half is going to help me out this evening when he comes home!!
THANK U

Last edited by cherijonmaui; 04-16-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: EDITING TEXT
Old 04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Let me be more clear. Gorn suggested one way to test the starter voltage by using a test light at the small (purple) wire on the starter. While that is a perfectly good method, I suspected you might not want to try that because of the inaccessibility of that terminal. So I suggested an alternate test that does not require going under the car (if that was indeed necessary). My procedure is all done in the engine compartment from above. You only need to access the fuse box and the battery terminal. It does require a long jumper wire, preferably with alligator clips (or similar) on both tends. While you do have access to the "purple wire" at the relay socket, it would not be easy to place a test light on it while the relay is plugged in.

Edit: As i was re-reading this, I realized there is a closer place to get the battery positive voltage. It is at the terminal post next to the fuse boxes. It has a red cover which is easily removed. The required jumper wire is now as little as 6" instead of 6'.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

did I mention I had a code: p0141 ??
replaced oxygen sensor sensor one bank
two
The light stayed on for day or two after replacing the sensor then it just quit!!
So far it appears to not be the starter ,Security system or battery??? DAMN!!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

OK I appreciate all your help . Also do you think perhaps it may have something to do with that 02 code I was getting recently??
I had a code: p0141 ??
We replaced sensor one bank
two??

Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Let me be more clear. Gorn suggested one way to test the starter voltage by using a test light at the small (purple) wire on the starter. While that is a perfectly good method, I suspected you might not want to try that because of the inaccessibility of that terminal. So I suggested an alternate test that does not require going under the car (if that was indeed necessary). My procedure is all done in the engine compartment from above. You only need to access the fuse box and the battery terminal. It does require a long jumper wire, preferably with alligator clips (or similar) on both tends. While you do have access to the "purple wire" at the relay socket, it would not be easy to place a test light on it while the relay is plugged in.

Edit: As i was re-reading this, I realized there is a closer place to get the battery positive voltage. It is at the terminal post next to the fuse boxes. It has a red cover which is easily removed. The required jumper wire is now as little as 6" instead of 6'.
Thanks for the pics too!!Huge help!!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Quick Reply: engine will not start!!