EGR and A.I.R. Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default EGR and A.I.R. Removal

I have a 94 Z28 and I was thinking of removing the A.I.R. pump and hoses and also the EGR. I have no cat on the car, so it's kind of pointless to have the AIR system anyways, and I also want to clear up the engine bay a little bit. I plan to get some Pacesetter LT's sometime this summer probably and just planned on getting some of the race style headers without AIR or EGR. I was just wondering how easy it is to remove the EGR and AIR and if anyone knew of an online writeup on how to do it on a '94 LT1. Also, will I need a smaller belt since I'll be taking the AIR pump out?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: EGR and A.I.R. Removal

The A.I.R system is only active at startup and runs off of an electric motor. If you take it out it's going to throw a code that will make your check engine light come on and stay on, since the system is only active at startup, I wouldn't worry about removing it. The same concept goes for the EGR system except it's active all the time, but the EGR valve is completely closed at wide open throttle, so it doesn't hinder performance at all. If I were you I wouldn't worry about removing them, you don't have to have them hooked up to your new headers, but removing them won't get you any performance except the loss of a bout 10 lbs from the A.I.R. pump and it can come with a whole slew of headaches.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I know it'll throw a code, and I'm not really too worried about it. I'll just get it tuned out when I get my mail-order tune. I just wanted to get rid of the stuff so that I wouldn't have as much clutter in the engine bay and maybe it'll make plug and wire changes a little less challenging.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 AM
3rd Gear Member

idk about on the camaro, ive never pulled one off of one, but me nd my buddy when we were rebuilding his mustang, we pulled the EGR to put the headers on which was a ***** to do...not too bad but it took us a min. to get it out..but his was located diff. than ours, ours is prolly not to bad to pull

Old 02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, I've heard that the EGR is pretty simple, but because it's a tube that runs from the exhaustmanifold (header in my case) to the intake, to recirculate unburned fuel. I think you just have to take that hose out, then blockoff the holes in the intake and header, where it was connected. I don't even know what the AIR pump looks like though. I'm sure that if I went out and looked under my hood, I could find it easy enough, but I still need to know what all to do, to remove it.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Overdrive Member

I woudln't remove the EGR until you get the new headers. It's located at the back of the intake under the cowl, so it's not easy to get to and work with. You're going to need to remove the EGR hose that connects the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve, as well as the connection that connects the EGR valve to the back of the intake. From here you'll need to invest in the LT4 EGR blockoff plate to fully block any air/debris from entering the intake. As far as the A.I.R pump, once again, I wouldn't do it until you get the headers if you're bent on removing it. I'm assuming the pump is simply a couple of connections and some bolts. There should be a diagram on the plastic piece that sits over the top of the radiator that maps out all the emissions equipment the car has. A.I.R and EGR should both the on there. If you want to get this done here and now you're going to need to also get caps to block the A.I.R pump inlets on the manifolds as well as a plate to block the outlet from the manifold to the EGR.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
3rd Gear Member

yeah like i said, its not easy...but the main diff. would be just weight...they dont do much, all just emmisions crap to make tree huggers happy

Old 02-07-2008, 05:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh yeah, i don't plan on doing any of it until I get the headers. So, it'll be a while, I'm just trying to get all the info I can before doing it, so I know what I'm doing when removing it.