Dry start up with ignition 5 out of 10x? New starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Dry start up? I have a degree in automotive tech, GM and ASE certified tech what the heck is a dry start up? Is this a some regional slang for a certain condition? To me a dry start would be no fuel?

Since I do not know what a dry start is I can not really help but here are some facts.

All a tune up on these cars is new plugs/plug wire and filters. There is no adjustments or tweaking like there would be on an older car. Doing a second tune up in less then 5 years or 80,000 miles is throwing money away.

New parts fail, it happens all the time.

Diagnosing a cranking problem should have NO guess work in it for a mechanic with the correct tools. That assumes the mechanic can make the error happen with the tools connected.

I have had 20+ year old cars with chronic cranking and charging issues. First thing I do is replace the main battery cables. Large cables build resistance over time. This resistance will cause premature Starter and Alternator failure. It can even make seem like weak battery. This resistance is easy to measure in a voltage drop test but if I had a car that was 25 years old, it would be getting new battery cable.
thanks both times, Gorn.

the battery is fairly new and was replaced just before i purchased it in 2013.
but then again, the cables im not sure about.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:33 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CamBigCat
But my backyard mechanic doesn't like to work on American cars, he'd rather work on imports like Japanese cars since they're easier to work on. I think it's common knowledge that a tune up on a Camaro is more difficult than a Toyota Camry, because of placement of spark plugs for example on a 4th Gen. Camaro, for example.
Obviously he's never worked on some imports. The old 89 Accord we had needed the frame rail notched to remove the starter. My Jeep, my dads truck, and my Camaro I can have the starter out in 20 minutes. Not saying all imports are hard like that, but not all American vehicles are hard either. Lots of variables.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:00 PM
4th Gear Member

your welcome cam big cat