Driver's Window Sluggish on Manual Lifting and Lowering WD40 or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Driver's Window Sluggish on Manual Lifting and Lowering WD40 or something else?

TITLE: Driver's Window Sluggish on Manual Lifting and Lowering WD40 or something else?

Hi, members

about 2 yrs. ago my window started to get real sluggish. It's a 4th gen. and has manual window release bars.

I sprayed WD 40 near all obvious parts of the window including the door slit

It didn't work well enough so I went to a car wash and they had an oil or cream that had more viscosity

after they asked for a disclaimer from any damage to my car since it was non-car wash related, the window went up and down better, granted the window was gucky for weeks thereafter, translucent almost and it took several washings to clean off the oil

should I spray wd-40 ... if so where else do u suggest it be applied?

do you all know the name of that type of oil the car wash company used. sorry, i forgot it and the car wash went out of business

im hoping it doesn't get worse and worse fast...

as a window arm for a 93 Camaro like the one I own will be a hassle. since my friend and i might have to go to the junk yard and disasssemble the Camaro driver's side door . and do some alignment also which is pesky

thanks, members.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There's really not much that can keep your window from rolling smoothly other than gunked up grease in the internals of the door. I would suggest taking the door apart and cleaning out all the tracks and reapplying grease to those surfaces. Some grease on the crank gears would help as well. Also check to see if any of the rollers have any issues as well.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
There's really not much that can keep your window from rolling smoothly other than gunked up grease in the internals of the door. I would suggest taking the door apart and cleaning out all the tracks and reapplying grease to those surfaces. Some grease on the crank gears would help as well. Also check to see if any of the rollers have any issues as well.
THANKS so spraying wd-40 down the window slit would be a waste of time and money?

grease is the only thing that works, huh?

anyway, i have to have it done by a pro. it's a 2 man job, holding the window up while the door is cracked open and grease applied.

ty again

Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 AM
2nd Gear member

*I also wanted to know if spraying wd 40 down the window, on the window, in the window slit crack, and any where else needing it according to common sense, would ACtually do more harm than good?

do you know GreenArrow?
anyone else?

Last edited by CamBigCat; 02-05-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM
2nd Gear member

cos since taking the window apart, while someone holds the window up, and someone else applies grease to the pertienent parts is at least a 2 man maybe a 3 man job and entails time and money

in the meantime member-friends, can i apply wd 40 down the window slit etc.

as a temporary bandaid? or will it do more harm than good and don't do it?

thanx in advance for any more help

Old 02-05-2017, 07:30 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Spraying WD-40 down the window sill is a temp fix. You can do this yourself it's not hard. Hardest part is getting door panel off. After that it's cake. Might be annoying maneuvering around the door to clean the parts off, but it's not bad. One reason to be glad you have manual windows is that you don't have to replace a window motor. Those suck the first time. Just do a search for a guide on how to take the door panel off. Once you get that done, you'll see what needs to be done.

And you don't need anyone to hold the window up, it should hold up just as you have cranked up.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenarrow
Spraying WD-40 down the window sill is a temp fix. You can do this yourself it's not hard. Hardest part is getting door panel off. After that it's cake. Might be annoying maneuvering around the door to clean the parts off, but it's not bad. One reason to be glad you have manual windows is that you don't have to replace a window motor. Those suck the first time. Just do a search for a guide on how to take the door panel off. Once you get that done, you'll see what needs to be done.

And you don't need anyone to hold the window up, it should hold up just as you have cranked up.
oh, yeah that was a Honda Civic window I had to help my backyard freelance mechanic with, I held it up for him as it was dangling in the door frame at like a 30 deg. angle.

thanks for going the extra mile to help. i copied and pasted all this useful info. as an MS Word doc.

this is labor intensive work at any repair shop so im going to try to do this on my own before it gets worse and worse.

i like to nip things in the bud preventive maintenance.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM
2nd Gear member
Default thanks so much Craby

thank u....i had experience with grinding regulators and repair shop work on them with parts aren't cheap at like 300 bucks on a '94 Camaro I had back in the day, so i def. want to dry DIY on this one.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It's very easy, just be careful taking off the door panel as it has very weak tabs. You have to take all the screws out and then lift it up and out. There's no telling how many door panels out there that have broken off tabs. This whole job should take you an hour or so, a few beers, and a couple 4 letter words.

Quick Reply: Driver's Window Sluggish on Manual Lifting and Lowering WD40 or something else?