Dash "Security" Light stays lit while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Overdrive Member
Question Dash "Security" Light stays lit while driving

At ~74k mi., my '02 RS just started having the Dash "Security" Light staying lit while I'm driving -- is this just an indication that the security chip on the key is worn/not making good contact?

TIA

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That means your wife/girlfriend is tracking you...

J/k. After using a blank key cut to match match my old one, my light stays on for several seconds after I start the engine. I'm certain that my pellet matches.

I would imagine, though, that your engine would not start if the security pellet was faulty. If someone had disabled VATS on your car, would the lamp still light?

Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member

Guess this is becoming my own troubleshooting thread -- just found this, but looks like I need a Tech 2 for this...

Document ID# 702848
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Security Indicator Always On or Flashing

Step

Action

Yes

No

Did you perform the Theft Deterrent Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Theft Deterrent

Disconnect the BCM connector containing the SECURITY indicator control circuit.

Does the SECURITY indicator turn OFF?

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 3

Test for a short to ground in the SCEURITY indicator control circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 4

Important

When replacing the IPC, perform the programming procedure. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Programming/Synchronization in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Replace the instrument cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 6

--

Important

When replacing the BCM, perform the relearn procedure. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.

Replace the BCM. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in Body Control System.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 6

--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2

Document ID# 702848
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

-----

Document ID# 705696
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Diagnostic System Check - Theft Deterrent

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Lack of communication may be due to a partial malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit or due to a total malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit. The specified procedure will determine the particular condition.

The presence of DTCs which begin with "U" indicate some other module is not communicating. The specified procedure will compile all the available information before tests are performed.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System in Body Control System.

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Body Control System in Body Control System

Did you retrieve any DTCs other than 12, 25/35, 55 and configuration numbers?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List in Body Control System

Go to Step 3

Install a scan tool.

Does the scan tool power up?

Go to Step 4

Go to Scan Tool Does Not Power Up in Data Link Communications

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to establish communication with the powertrain control module (PCM).
Does the scan tool communicate with the PCM?

Go to Step 5

Go to Scan Tool Does Not Communicate with Class 2 Device in Data Link Communications

Select the PCM display DTCs function on the scan tool.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs?

Go to Step 6

Go to Symptoms - Theft Deterrent

Does the scan tool display any DTCs which begin with a "U"?

Go to Scan Tool Does Not Communicate with Class 2 Device in Data Link Communications

Go to Step 7

Does the scan tool display DTC P0601-0607, P1600, P1621 or P1627?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List 3.8L or Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List 5.7L in Engine Controls

Go to Step 8

Does the scan tool display DTC P0560, P0562 or P0563?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List in Engine Electrical

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Document ID# 705696
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-29-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Mine turned on one day and never turned off after that. I had it on over a year and it bugged the crap out of me till one day I just removed the light bulb. Lol problem solved. Screw VATTS.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Solution, $457.36 later from a dealer shop (luckily 100% covered via extended warranty), was repair the broken wire for the PASS Lock in the Lock Cylinder that was broken, and to address DTC 021 (Body Control Module (BCM)) AKA B21 (yes, OBD Scanners usually don't find these codes), replaced the mechanical ignition lock cylinder and cut new keys.

While I was in, they also replaced a worn passenger wheel hub bearing ($328.80) that made a whirring noise when making gradual left turns.

Prices above are labor & parts...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-29-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 07-28-2011, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Mine has been on since I bought it 10 years and 100,000 miles ago. I figure it's the lock cylinder, but it's not been an issue yet.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Overdrive Member

^ If you have no other issues, it may just be that broken wire -- could be an easy fix...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Here's the details on the DTC 021 (Body Control Module (BCM)) code I had -- I'm not exactly clear how this relates to the Security dash light, however. Anyone have insight? Maybe a result from the broken wire?

Document ID# 664083
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
DTC 021 and/or 031

Circuit Description

The body control module (BCM) supplies battery voltage to the courtesy lamps through the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit when the BCM is awake. When the BCM sees the proper inputs it will ground the courtesy lamps low control circuit, and the courtesy lights will illuminate.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The BCM must command the courtesy lamps ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The BCM detects that the output for the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit is low when it is expected to be high.
There is an open or short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit to the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit.
The condition above must be present for more than 0.3 seconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The BCM stores DTC B21/31 in memory.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A current DTC B21/31 will clear if a short to ground or open in the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit is no longer detected by the BCM.
A current DTC B21/31 will clear if the open or short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit to the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit is no longer present.
A history DTC B21/31 will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present and no other BCM faults are detected.
Diagnostic Aids

If the DTC B21/31 is a history DTC, the fault may be intermittent. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.
The following conditions may cause an intermittent malfunction to occur:
An intermittent short to ground or open in the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit
An intermittent open or short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit to the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit
An intermittent short to ground in a courtesy lamp
The BCM is intermittently shorted to ground or open
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Test for voltage at the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit. No voltage at the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit would indicate that the fault is current, voltage at the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit would indicate that the fault is intermittent.

Verifies that the COURTESY Fuse is good, an open fuse indicates a short to ground in the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit or the battery positive voltage circuit of the BCM, that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit.

Verifies that the battery positive voltage circuit of the BCM is providing battery voltage.

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Interior Lights Schematics

Did you perform the Lighting System Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Lighting Systems

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Disconnect one of the courtesy lamps connectors.
Probe the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit of the courtesy lamp with a test lamp that is connected to ground.
Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Go to Step 3

Inspect the Courtesy Fuse for an open.

Is the courtesy fuse open?

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 4

Disconnect the body control module (BCM) connectors.
Probe the battery positive voltage circuit of the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit with a test lamp that is connected to ground.

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 9

Connect a fused jumper between the battery positive voltage circuit and the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit of the BCM connector. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
Probe the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit of the courtesy lamp with a test lamp that is connected to ground.

Go to Step 7

Go to Step 6

Repair the open or high resistance in the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 11

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the BCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 10

Repair the short to ground in the battery positive voltage circuit of the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit or the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 11

--

Repair the open or high resistance in the battery positive voltage circuit of the BCM that feeds the courtesy lamps supply voltage circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 11

--

Important

Perform the set up procedure for the Body Control Module. Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Body Control System.

Replace the body control module. Refer to Body Control Module Replacement in Body Control System.

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 11

--

Clear the DTC. Refer to On-Board Diagnostic Features in Body Control System.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
Retrieve the DTCs. Refer to On-Board Diagnostic Features in Body Control System.
Does the DTC reset?

Go to Step 2

System OK

Document ID# 664083
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-29-2011 at 11:43 AM.