Creak sound when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Creak sound when coming to a stop

I couldnt post in the drivetrain forum but im back with another scenario. I had to relace my rear right wheel bearing. After about a week and half of driving i started hearing this creek/groan/grind sound coming from the rear while stopping and cruising at 15mph and under. I am positive it isnt the brakes since it makes the noise while im cruising with foot off gas. The bearing is that last thing i touched so im leaning towards that. What i did to resolve was add some oil to the pumpkin since it was kind of low. My question is this a sound that a bad wheel bearing would make? The axle shaft does have some wear on it from a bad install by the mechanic. I attempted to install the bearing repair but i couldnt get it to fit so i had to go back to factory default. I plan on getting a new shaft and doing this again sometime next month but for now i would like to find out what this dam noise is. Thanks

Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 AM
4th Gear Member

If axle is worn where the bearing touches, such as a groove worn in, axle should be smooth as it serves the inner race for the bearing, this groove will allow the housing to fall, or go towards the ground, and rotor will go up will respect to housing and may be rubbing against the caliper.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i know the grooves are bad...well theyre more chips and scratches than deep grooves. I know that could still cause an issue. So what i did to try to get this sound again was jack the car up and have both rear wheels off the ground. I spun the wheel to get to about the 5mph speed, no noise..I also did it while i had someone pressing on the brakes. Still no sound. Hopefully i dont need a load on the wheel to get the sound again. What i also noticd is that when i spin the passenger wheel backwards the driver side moves but when i spin the driver side the passenger doesnt respond, with it being an LSD is that normal? Another thing I noticed when i had the car in neutral the ujoints seemed to have some play in them, i also think the original creak sound may be coming from there as well. Im at a stand still. I plan on taking the car to a mechanic to swap the ujoints out since i hate those and i will try to get to swaping the axle shaft out again for a fresh one later since im not in the mood for that again. Ok im done typing for now

Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 AM
4th Gear Member

If rear tires on stands, trans neutral, and limited slip diff,
one should be able to turn one tire and the other tire turn with it in same direction - rev & forward.
If one tire on ground, one should have a min of 35 ft/lbs at lugnut for breakaway.

A loose U-joint will make a creeky sound if its needle bearings are broken.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the lsd is not happy. seems like it would make noise on turns though.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member

That's my concern. It doesn't make any noises when turning, the howling isn't loud or anything to be concerned about. The ring and pinion was done last year. I get light clunking when reversing ( I was thinking it may have some lash in the pinion) but the u joints seem to be giving out they are old and rusted. Its just a coincidence that after dealing with that bearing im getting this noise. Im going to take a video and post it up this weekend to show you guys what I mean

Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you have a bad bearing race i would think it would not make a noise or at least very little unless there is weight/pressure on it. be a good idea to pull her apart and have a look and see if the bearings are damaged.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 AM
4th Gear Member

if you got access to a lift that's the best way to see everything in what realy going on