Coolant leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Coolant leak!

I have an issue and I feel like a newbie for asking this. Im pretty sure its just air in the system but ill ask the question anyway. Please don't hit me lol. I replaced the thermostat and temp gauge sensor in my 95 LT1 (I have done this a few times from a lower temp thermo one to a higher temp one) I obviously opened the system to air and thought I bled it properly afterwards. For the past few days I keep getting coolant pushing itself out the upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. I bled the sytem all day yesterday via the bleeder screws and let a ton of coolant out. I also drained some out of the petcock just incase I may have overfilled the system. I am having a brain fart here and cant figure out how to bleed the system again with coolant already in it. Can I leave the reservoir cap off to let it bleed by itself when im not around. I attempted to use shboxes instructions but its only for people who don't have coolant currently in the system. Thanks all

Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Drive car till up to temp,shut it off. Open bleeder on thermostat housing slowly,air will purge,shut when fluid comes out ,done. Next morn after cooled,check fluid levels.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for responding, I will work on that soon. Is it norm for coolant to be pushed out of that hose connection? Ive never seen that before

Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

It's not normal at all. Did you get the right thermostat? The LT1 stat is not the same as a regular SBC. Also make sure it's seated fully and the clamp is tight.

Easiest way to purge air from the system is either park on an incline or jack the front up so the radiator is the highest point. Then follow the instructions in this video, note, not all the instructions he shows applies our cars, but you should be able to get the general idea.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 01-25-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by rs657f
For the past few days I keep getting coolant pushing itself out the upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. I bled the sytem all day yesterday via the bleeder screws and let a ton of coolant out.
You DON'T have a need to bleed problem, the leak is doing it just fine on it's own. lol
You either have corrosion around the stat housing, a build up of crud on the inside of the hose, or one of the two is cracked/split, or the clamp is loose/not clamping down tight enough. You need to remove the hose and inspect.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

That's the weird part about it. I just put a 190 degree AC Delco (12TH10E) in. The pump is new and the thermostat housing is clean. The leak doesn't have any cracks or holes. This hose is fresh too about 5 months old. The leak is coming from the connection to the housing. I guess ill pull hose again from the thermostat and see what I can find. Im on lunch at work now so im going to run out and see what I can find. IM going to yank this hose off the thermostat housing and try to hold on to as much coolant as possible. To bleed the system afterwards would I follow 80sz's procedure?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rs657f
That's the weird part about it. I just put a 190 degree AC Delco (12TH10E) in. The pump is new and the thermostat housing is clean. The leak doesn't have any cracks or holes. This hose is fresh too about 5 months old. The leak is coming from the connection to the housing. I guess ill pull hose again from the thermostat and see what I can find. Im on lunch at work now so im going to run out and see what I can find. IM going to yank this hose off the thermostat housing and try to hold on to as much coolant as possible. To bleed the system afterwards would I follow 80sz's procedure?
So what I did is popped the hose off. Nothing looked bad on the housing so I chopped about half an inch off the hose that connects to the housing. Put that back on and turned the car on to let it get to hot temp. While it was running I had the radiator cap off. Nothing dripped as of yet. It seems to happen when I put some pressure on the car I'm guessing. When I get home I'll hop under the hood and have a look see. This belt is screaming so loud with all this coolant on it

Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Put the cap on and let the pressure build back up,it's not going to leak without pressure . Cutting the hose back should work for now as you have a better surface to seal with,Check again after the ride home. The fluid should be checked in the overflow tank this can be done hot or cold,if empty then you check radiator after cooled and adding proper amount to overflow tank.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

problem solved for now...thanks all!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Quick Reply: Coolant leak!