convertible top repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default convertible top repair

i have a 98 SS convertible with the rear glass window. Overall, the top is in good condition except there is a gap where the glass meets the fabric. Initially it was a 1-2 inch separation at the bottom portion of the glass and now it is a much bigger gap (6 inches). I haven't even been driving it much so I was surprised to see that much separation in such a short time. Has anyone had this problem? if so, is there a repair kit I could purchase and fix myself?? or do I have to buy a whole new top? my first convertible, so this is new to me. thanks.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No kit I am aware of, you can epoxy it and see how long it will hold. It all comes down to why it ripped in the first place.
These tops age and one of the signs of aging is shrinking. The first sign of shrinkage is the back window popping loose. Next you will have to adjust the top to get it to latch, then it would pull in and expose the weather seals on the door and start to leak water there and not too long after that she will just split down the middle or tear out at the quarter panels.

Most top places will not touch a repair like this because they know it is just a band aid. Estimated life of a top is 10 years, 12-14 year if it is garage kept. They can last longer but if I had the 10 year old top that popped that back window seal I may try to seal it with epoxy but I would not put any real money or effort into it and I would start saving for a new top.

If you feel daring and want to learn you could do it yourself. There are camaro specific how to threads and general how to install a rag top videos. The top and other stuff can be bought for under $300 and a good one is around $450 in materials. Top, window, cables and pads are the minimum I would do. I would not recommend it. Pros sure make it look easy but it can be real tuff to get that smooth look on hot days. You would want to wait till summer unless you have a heated garage.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default convertible top

thanks for the info. don't have the money for a new top right now, so maybe i'll try the epoxy. guess i better start saving

Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Overdrive Member

My '01 SS has the same issues, vinyl lip is separating near the window, and some holes forming on the sides where there is a crease on both sides when collapsed.

The OP should post photos of his issues, and I will take some pics of mine as well...

Old 07-10-2016, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
if I had the 10 year old top that popped that back window seal I may try to seal it with epoxy but I would not put any real money or effort into it and I would start saving for a new top.
I know this is an old topic, but for reference for someone who may encounter this problem in the future, try using double sided moulding adhesive tape to secure the glass back to the fabric. It helps to use rubbing alcohol to clean both surfaces for better adhesion and another person on the opposite side of the window to allow more pressure to be applied while seating the glass. As mentioned above, this should only be a temporary solution. The back panel will have to be replaced, but I've gotten over two years of water tight sealing by doing this.