conventional to syntheitc oil with 145k

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default conventional to syntheitc oil with 145k

My 98 z28 has 145k and has always used conventional oil all its life as far as I know. I seen that mobil 1 is big with camaro owners from being on this site. I would to like buy some but then i looked up at people are getting leaks everywhere from switching after High miles.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Future leaks are a possibility, since conventional oil sludges up where synthetic oil doesn't. What that means is the sludged up conventional oil could be packing a leak shut that is already there, and the better synthetic oil cleans away the sludge (as it's good at doing). Synthetic oil does not create a leak out of the blue. To me, the superior oiling properties of synthetic outweighs the bad. I've changed over two different engines (100k and 120k) with no leak issues. It's your call though, and I accept no responsibility for the outcome, expressed or implied, should there be one.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Future leaks are a possibility, since conventional oil sludges up where synthetic oil doesn't. What that means is the sludged up conventional oil could be packing a leak shut that is already there, and the better synthetic oil cleans away the sludge (as it's good at doing). Synthetic oil does not create a leak out of the blue. To me, the superior oiling properties of synthetic outweighs the bad. I've changed over two different engines (100k and 120k) with no leak issues. It's your call though, and I accept no responsibility for the outcome, expressed or implied, should there be one.
lol. well i just got off mobil 1s website and found mobil 1 high mileage. It says its for cars that were using conventional oil... so i guess ill try it

Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM
2nd Gear member

I am doing a cycle of synthetic, but in 3000 miles I'm going back to conventional. Just to clean things out. Mobil 1 is a thinner synthetic so be careful. I prefer Castrol Syntec but that's just my choice. Good luck.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:07 PM

You shouldn't get leaks. Just make sure to buy two full oil changes and filters, because your filter will get plugged pretty quickly. I just made the switch to synthetic (Mobil 1, LOL) and am waiting to change my filter and oil for the 2nd time.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I remember when I first changed my old 91 Camaro over to synthetic, the oil turned black fairly quickly. On my present LT1 Vette, it didn't do that so much. It had a little over 100k miles when I bought it, and under the valve covers was pretty darn clean. That and excellent oil pressure makes me feel it was already taken good care of by previous owners. Sometimes it's a crap shoot.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrfreez
I am doing a cycle of synthetic, but in 3000 miles I'm going back to conventional. Just to clean things out. Mobil 1 is a thinner synthetic so be careful. I prefer Castrol Syntec but that's just my choice. Good luck.
Mr. Freez, correct me if I am wrong but I dont think you can do that. Once you switch to synthetic you cant go back. I learned this in my engines class and it was something they beat into my head.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear member

What would be the reason that you can't switch from synthetic to conventional?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by AMP3D
Mr. Freez, correct me if I am wrong but I dont think you can do that. Once you switch to synthetic you cant go back. I learned this in my engines class and it was something they beat into my head.
Wow, I hope they beat some correct facts into your head too. That is totally false! Synthetic is forward and backward compatible with conventional oil. You can even mix the two in your engine if you want to. I'm sure you've seen "synthetic blend" oil on the store shelves? That's a mix of synthetic and petroleum based oils. Your engines teacher must have been sniffing too many gas fumes.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok good to know. My teacher was also a teacher of ford so maybe thats the reason. But still wouldnt it be bad to the engine to swtich back? I mean i know synthetic helps with pour point a lot better than conventional oil and has a much less viscosity change over time. So for these reasons wouldnt it be bad to switch back?

Quick Reply: conventional to syntheitc oil with 145k