Changing Dashboard Cluster light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Default Changing Dashboard Cluster light bulbs

Hi Guys, I have a couple light bulbs burned out on my cluster, and trying to find an easy way to change it without taking down the steering wheel down and the radio bezel etc. Any response to an easy way of doing it. Otherwise, I'll keep the burned ones and not mess with it. thanks

Old 12-20-2010, 07:45 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't know any other way. Heck you can't even work you hand up in there without moving the knee bolster and then you can't get far.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If this is for the 98 v6, I don't know what in the world you're talking about. It takes 10 minutes to change bulbs, all you need to do is pull of the cluster bezels and pop out the cluster. NOTHING else comes out. I can give a detailed write up if this is the car that needs the bulbs changed.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
If this is for the 98 v6, I don't know what in the world you're talking about. It takes 10 minutes to change bulbs, all you need to do is pull of the cluster bezels and pop out the cluster. NOTHING else comes out. I can give a detailed write up if this is the car that needs the bulbs changed.
I would appreciate that, Thank you

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I recommend using a 7mm nut driver. There's some screws that are hard to reach, but a nut driver works great for them. Start by unscrewing the 2 screws that holds the outer most bezel around the cluster. It's only 2 screws, behind it there are plastic pegs with metal clips that holds the bottom in place. Just pull it forward and tilt the top out first. I put my steering wheel all the way down to give a little more room. There's a bunch of screws all around the cluster which is where the nut driver comes in handy. They should all be 7mm. I can never seem to get the whole cluster out at once, so I unclip the clear plastic bezel while the cluster is still plugged in. Takes a little finessing, but it's possible. If you can get all of it out together, then more power to you. Finally, pull the cluster out. It's just a single plug in the back, pull straight out. Then figure out which bulbs are out and replace them (194 bulbs). I use a pair of pliers to gently twist the bulbs out (they're in little holders, you can tell as soon as you see them). Assembly is the same in reverse. Just make sure you plug the cluster in and test the bulbs before fully reassembling everything.

Here's a few photos of what it should look like. Not the greatest pics, but I circled in pink some of the key things I pointed out.

One of the two screws is circled that needs to come out first.

Name:  100_0365a.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  67.7 KB
The screws around the cluster itself

The plug

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

going a little fast in that pic darling lol

Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

I recommend using a 7mm nut driver. There's some screws that are hard to reach, but a nut driver works great for them. Start by unscrewing the 2 screws that holds the outer most bezel around the cluster. It's only 2 screws, behind it there are plastic pegs with metal clips that holds the bottom in place. Just pull it forward and tilt the top out first. I put my steering wheel all the way down to give a little more room. There's a bunch of screws all around the cluster which is where the nut driver comes in handy. They should all be 7mm. I can never seem to get the whole cluster out at once, so I unclip the clear plastic bezel while the cluster is still plugged in. Takes a little finessing, but it's possible. If you can get all of it out together, then more power to you. Finally, pull the cluster out. It's just a single plug in the back, pull straight out. Then figure out which bulbs are out and replace them (194 bulbs). I use a pair of pliers to gently twist the bulbs out (they're in little holders, you can tell as soon as you see them). Assembly is the same in reverse. Just make sure you plug the cluster in and test the bulbs before fully reassembling everything.

Here's a few photos of what it should look like. Not the greatest pics, but I circled in pink some of the key things I pointed out.

The plug
Excellent writing, this should be also moved to the "how to" section.
Thank you

Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Default LED problem not working

The plug
I recently got LED's for my guage cluster and when I put them in none of them worked, so I put the stock ones back in and they didn't work either, is there a certain way they go back in or where is the fuse so I can serif its burnt out? I can't see any gauges at night as it sits right now. Help plz