car wont start but does start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Question car wont start but does start

ok so i replaced the fuel pump and sending unit, and fuel filter, i turn the key u can hear pump kick on but wont start, if you give it gas with pedal it starts then dies....will only start when u push pedal, keep it revved up for 2-3 mins it stays running, shut it off and same thing.....but when it runs it purrs like a kitten

Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your coolant temp sensor. its at the front of water pump. it sounds like its flooding, getting to much fuel so it won't run without lots of air. does it idle ok once it settles down from the startup?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by craby
test your coolant temp sensor. its at the front of water pump. it sounds like its flooding, getting to much fuel so it won't run without lots of air. does it idle ok once it settles down from the startup?
ya once it starts it idles and runs fine, its just gettting it started

Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My question would be, “What is missing”. If you have compression, fuel and spark you will get something. If it is just cranks something is missing. Then when it shows up all is good.
Step one is what is missing when it won’t start. Fuel or spark? (As a general rule compression does not come and go) Fuel can be caused by fuel pressure or from no signal from the PCM to the injectors.

Fuel pressure gage (verify pressure)
Injector noid (verify signal from PCM)
Spark tester (Verify spark and spark strength at the plug)

If you can scan it make sure the PCM even knows the motor is spinning.

If you have all three then pull the plug to check for flooding BEFORE the car start but after you cranked it, as Craby suggests. It is pretty rare on MPI system but it is possible

This is kind of soundling like a CAM sensor,,, Wait is this the 3800 or Lt1?

Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
Wait is this the 3800 or Lt1?
He has the 3.8.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Check your vac lines for your pressure regulator and the map sensor. pull your IAC and clean it out. see if you notice a difference. but you need to get a computer hooked up to your camaro to see whats really going on.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does it have an aftermarket performance chip? does it have any aftermarket add ons and what are they?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Droid

I had a similar condition on my car due to a leaky injector. Car would crank fine, but would not start unless gas pedal was floored when cranking. It seems that after the engine was shut down, the bad injector leaked fuel until the fuel pressure dropped to zero which resulted in a flooded condition. Does your car start normally after sitting overnight and all the extra fuel drained into the crankcase? If you see a black cloud of smoke when the car finally starts it is a good indication that the engine was flooded.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I was thinking along the same lines of a leaky injector flooding the engine. But it takes him 2-3 minutes of revving the engine before it stays running. For it to take that long to level out doesn't sound like a momentarily flooded engine to me.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The reason I said it would be rare on a MPI (Multi point injection) system is because one injector would cause a miss but the other 5 cylinders should fire. If there is or was rust or sludge in the fuel line is the only think I can think of to make multi injectors fail at the same time. If the 3800 had a spider type or throttle body injector it would be a lot more likely.

I guess having two or three injectors fail at the same time would not be impossible.

Quick Reply: car wont start but does start