car is sputtering on acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default car is sputtering on acceleration.

i have a 94 camaro m6. its been sitting since nov. i got it legal on wed and it ran perfect yesterday. today on my way to school it made a popping/ backfire sound. it was hard to tell since the radio was up high. that was about a 2.5 mile drive. When i got out of school it wouldnt start i tried it 2-3 times nothing. let it sit about 10 mins the it hesitated to start i tried again it start up. on my way home i noticed it was kinda doing like a sputtering type of thing when driving. it didnt seem like it was doing it at higher speed but i didnt really get to see since i was in a ton of traffic. it seemed like it got way worse when i was just creeping along up to a light. i then just went through the sub to get it home so i didnt have to worry about breaking down.does anyone have any ideas what it could be? The gas has been sitting in it since i parked it but i wasnt sure if that was it since it ran good til today. car is all stock to my knowledge except cat delte and flowmaster exhaust. I didnt notice any lights on the dash but i kinda freaked out and drove home pretty quick when i noticed it sputtering.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Droid

A whole bunch of things can cause what you describe. Basically, the engine is misfiring. This can be the result of electrical or ignition problems, fuel problems, and or mechanical problems. Scan for trouble codes. Your engine is OBD1 so a free scan from a part store may not be available. There may be retained codes that don't bring up the trouble light, or the light might not work. If there are no codes, then you are going to have to do some old school trouble shooting. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

i think the light does work. well at least it does on start up. im hoping its gas related since it sat for a few months under a cover in the michigan weather.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mp734
i think the light does work. well at least it does on start up. im hoping its gas related since it sat for a few months under a cover in the michigan weather.
Unlikely, more likely something dried out like a plug wire.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

well i put some dry gas in ther anyway will drive it tomorrow and see what it does. im hoping it fixes it. its going to suck since im not working right now and dont have the funds to try and fix something on it.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

toke it for a drive again today. started up fine ran fine to the bank. about 3-4 miles ran fine almost all the home. i was about a mile from home and it started sputtering on me again. i drove maybe half a mile and it seemed like it started to clear out.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change the fuel filter. dump the gas out of the old one into a clear container (from the tank side) and see what comes out. water will settle to the bottom.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds a lot like what my Vette was doing last year. Fuel pump might be crapping out once it gets hot. Check your fuel pressure.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

well i dove it about 25 miles today. about a half hour after the post earlier. sputtered a little when i first started driving. sputtered a bit when i did a first and sec gear pull. then no problems after that. im hoping the dry gas fixed it.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

wwell today i put about 6 gallons of gas in it and it started sputtering again. so im thinking there is something going on with the fuel. hoping a fuel filter change will fix it.

Quick Reply: car is sputtering on acceleration.