A/C compressor install difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default A/C compressor install difficulty?

Problem: A/C does not get cold. Compressor was not coming on, but this was only a result of the cutout switch disabling the clutch for lack of pressure. There is a leak, and it is from a failing seal in the compressor. The compressor (I'm told) needs to be replaced. Edit: r134a can be added to restore pressure, in which case the compressor does run and the system does get cold. So the system does work - there is just a failing component.

My question is, what would I be up against if I tackled this problem on my own?
The shop quoted I think $600 for parts and like $150 labor. So about $750. I can pay for that if I need to - money isn't really the issue. Also, having the job done right is of importance to me. But I'm not opposed to saving hundreds of dollars if I can. Also, I don't like to pay people to do everything for me, but I do sometimes surrender to that in the interest of having something done correctly. I don't want to get in over my head, but I'd enjoy having an excuse to turn a wrench on my camaro (the dang thing hasn't had any problems until now, so I haven't had the chance )

I have a pretty elementary understanding of cars and basic common sense. Not much experience... I would tend to believe that A/C repair isn't for the meek... Lemme know what you think.

Last edited by Puck90a; 04-18-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Overdrive Member

its not that hard,it might be a little harder for someone who hasnt had much experience working on cars.Yeah that price does seem a little hight for me.You will have to take the accessory belt off,remove the alternator for easier access.Theres about 3 bolts i believe holding the compressor on(i cant remember at the top of my head).But its not really that difficult at all.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

discharging the system is one of the big things the other of course is when recharging, getting the right mixture of oil and refigerant. i think you said your system is already discharged so it should be a matter of changing the pump and getting the right mixture when you recharge. its not legal to discarge into the open air and the refigerate is some nasty stuff so be carefull to have lotts of open space, dont get on skin or breath. did a little reading on changing the pump but never did it exept recharging with the can. even then it didnt change the pump going on and off all the time so i dont know if i did it right. u may want ot put it together and then take it in to be recharged.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Overdrive Member

You can't legally discharge R-134a to atmosphere, but unlike R-12 it doesn't make any poisonous gasses. If you do it sneaky like you'll be fine. I would recommend getting the system professionally recharged.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Dominos Puck

THanks for the input.

When I took it to have it looked at, the guy recharged it for me and told me to see how long it would last (leak it all out into the atmosphere basically, lol). But, it did help prove that other things are working properly, because it works fine now that it's been recharged.

By the way, like slvr said, this is r134a so it doesn't have quite the toxicity level that r12 does (not as expensive either). The recharge canister I was using was putting out a pretty oily liquid - I know because I got some on my hands .... Do the advance auto parts cans of r134a already have the correct oil/refrigerant mixture pretty much? Could I just use those?

Since it's recharged and getting cold... I'm just going to hang tight for now. Maybe I'll do something about fixing it when it leaks out again (sorry atmosphere ). Else, how would I go about discharging what I have in there and putting it back in after the repair?

I don't expect anyone to type up an instruction manual for me here, I can do my homework if I need to. I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you know exactly where it's leaking from? I blew the manifold gasket on my pump a few years ago and the mechanic I took it to said that was the only gasket on the compressor. I don't know this for a fact and I don't know what kind of gasket it was.

If I read this right, you're just planning on fixing the leak and not replacing the compressor right?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Dominos Puck

What I was told was, the compressor is leaking. He didn't show me where exactly, or tell me exactly. I asked him if it was as simple as replacing a hose, or some kind of gasket, and he was saying that it had more to do with the compressor itself, not just a connection to it (I don't know enough about compressors to visualize what that looks like or what that means). He was mentioning metal to metal parts of the compressor that weren't mating well together anymore and that it wasn't really as simple as replacing a gasket.

I donno man. See, I might not really be comprehending this whole deal.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah, I don't know really either. It was a pretty incredible sight when mine went. That stuff just came out from everywhere, all sides of the hood, from out the bottom. Lasted link 10 seconds and was gone. Then I had to drive all the way to orlando with no A/C in the middle of summer because of a hurricane evac. That was great trip.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if theres oil in the system it seems like you would be able to see that.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Overdrive Member

Puck, a full A/C recharge isn't that expensive, and honestly it's probably better than the auto-zone self recharge kit.

A buddy and I accidentally punched a hole in his A/C condenser when doing a motor swap, pretty funny to watch, took about 5 minutes for it to stop. We just backed up and laughed...