Body Control Module Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Has anyone had problems getting the BCM out? Mainly from a T/A? I need to get to my plugs so I can splice in to a couple to disable my DRLs, but the wires are so tight that it is very difficult to get the box off of it's mount and I fear damaging it.

Btw, long time no see everyone lol!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Overdrive Member

Frumpy, you may want to read this thread before posting a link to the exact same information. and No you do not need to take the kick panel off to get the BCM out.

KMT, welcome back! Almost thought we lost ya!

As for the plugs they have a pinch lever to release them from the unit so make sure you are getting it all the way disengagued before pulling the wires. The unit itself is an absolute PITA to get out of it's cradle so you may want to put some tape on your knuckles before starting (trust me here)

Massey

Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
Frumpy, you may want to read this thread before posting a link to the exact same information. and No you do not need to take the kick panel off to get the BCM out.

KMT, welcome back! Almost thought we lost ya!

As for the plugs they have a pinch lever to release them from the unit so make sure you are getting it all the way disengagued before pulling the wires. The unit itself is an absolute PITA to get out of it's cradle so you may want to put some tape on your knuckles before starting (trust me here)

Massey
Hey man! Nah you'll never get rid of me lol! Yeah I remembered the pinch levers that are in there. I'm just worried I am going to break it or pull wires out when I'm trying to get it out of the cradle, and then I'm worried I won't have enough slack to do what I need to with the wires. But I'll man handle it a little and see what happens! Might wear some gloves or something, hahaha.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Default 96 RS radio issue

Hey everyone,
i've been having this exact issue with my radio cutting out on my 96 RS. so i pulled out the BCM and reflowed/soldered it. this unfortunately did not fix my issue. i even tried resoldering a couple of times. radio is still cutting out, everything else works, i just have trouble with the radio. what helps a little is actually pressing the RCL button, that wil usually bring the display back so i can see the time. pressing any other button does nothing. so i still have the intermittant radio issue. Just wondering if anyone has any other sugguestions as to what i could check.
Thank --Brian

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Overdrive Member

Does the radio turn off or do you just lose sound? If you just lose sound for a few and then it comes back it could be the amp in the back or the amo in the deck. If you lose power completely (ie the clock resets) then it is prolly a bad or lose connection. The BCM issue happens and you lose the radio and power windows at the same time. If you still have the power windows and no radio it is not the BCM

Massey

Old 11-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Default radio issue

I lose sound, the display goes away, so i dont see the time, volume level etc. the clock time does not reset.
i can press the RCL button and the time will come back for a couple of seconds, and if i adjust the volume, the volume wont adjust until i press the RCL button.
what i've done so far is the BCM fix, which did not work. I pulled the radio out to check the connection and wires. did not see anything out of the ordinary with the wires, the only thing i did see were two ground wires may have been touching one another, but i didn't think that would be/cause any issues. after checking the wires and reconnecting, i got the LOC on the display, entered my code and the radio worked great for 15-20 minutes, then the display went away. sometimes the radio/cd work ok. mostly intermittant at this point. no issues with windows going up/down. i can turn the radio on and nothing happens, then i press RCL and i'll here that short one second or so 'buzz' of either the radio actually turning on, or something to do with the CD.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Default radio issue

amo in the deck?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member

Im guessing you have the typical dead amp in the deck. This is not uncommon with Delco stereos. Get yourself a new deck and use the adaptor cable kit so you dont chop the wiring in the car all to hell.

Massey

Old 01-20-2014, 07:19 PM

this just saved me alot of time and headache. Sometimes I have to just put the window switch and lock button at the same time and it works as well just a fyi

Old 02-26-2014, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear member

I still haven't been able to get the damn thing out of my T/A. I have the little slide in locks out, but the T/A is way different from my Camaro. In the Camaro I was able to drop the glove compartment and had a lot more room. But in the T/A there is a piece of plastic separating it so I'm confined to just the radio entrance, which I don't have enough room for my big paws. No room for a screwdriver to put pressure on the tabs and get my hand on it to pull the plug. Grr! Going to try some more this weekend.

Quick Reply: Body Control Module Repair