'black spots' on plastic trim

Old 04-12-2015, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 'black spots' on plastic trim

Hi guys,

Getting these strange black marks popping up all around the thin plastic bump going around the doors (see pic) Any idea what it could be? Appears to be embedded in the paint or possibly actually the paint faded or something - Cant seem to get rid of it with harsh cuts or polishes.

Name:  mqXVDVN.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  1,006.9 KB

Old 04-12-2015, 05:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,,, looks like its under the clear coat

Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
woh,,, looks like its under the clear coat
Yeah I believe it is, and its right around on both sides, looks very ugly...

Guess I'll have to take it to a panelbeater, was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this/any insights as to what it might be or what may have caused it.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM

Looks like a chemical reaction of the plastic material under the paint "bubbling" through. This is only on the rub rail (plastic bumper strip) and not on the metal or plastic body panels? If so, I think it will need to be repainted to cover it up. This is factory original and just started now?

Old 04-13-2015, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JonnyCam
Looks like a chemical reaction of the plastic material under the paint "bubbling" through. This is only on the rub rail (plastic bumper strip) and not on the metal or plastic body panels? If so, I think it will need to be repainted to cover it up. This is factory original and just started now?

Yeah its definitely only on the 'rail plastic bumper strip' on the doors on both sides. All the actual panels are fine. Maybe its not stock and a manufacturing defect? (although I've owned the car two years and its only just showing in the past few months)

Do you reckon this will be expencive to have repainted?

Old 04-13-2015, 04:15 PM

In the sense that nothing is cheap, yes. Expensive is always a "relative" thing. They'll need to have their clear-coat removed and get refinished. If it is a problem with an aftermarket material who's to say it won't happen again unless you go with blacked out trim which would probably not look "right". I think your guess that it's an aftermarket part issue sounds accurate but it could also be that it wasn't properly primed before painting or (???) PS: I have an industrial design degree but I'm not an expert on finishes and gm plastic materials so this is all just speculation FWIW.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JonnyCam
In the sense that nothing is cheap, yes. Expensive is always a "relative" thing. They'll need to have their clear-coat removed and get refinished. If it is a problem with an aftermarket material who's to say it won't happen again unless you go with blacked out trim which would probably not look "right". I think your guess that it's an aftermarket part issue sounds accurate but it could also be that it wasn't properly primed before painting or (???) PS: I have an industrial design degree but I'm not an expert on finishes and gm plastic materials so this is all just speculation FWIW.

Cheers, this is the kind of info I am after. Is very strange. If there is a chance it could happen again if I have it re-painted does this mean It would be better to get them replaced instead? Maybe it is a factory priming issue that has only just now decided to rare its ugly head... No way of knowing either way. I'll get a panel beaters opinion and go from there.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM

What was the opinion on the panel-beater? I have similar spots on my Camaro (2001, red) on both door panels. Is repainting the best option?

Old 07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
4th Gear Member

could be if you did not clean it enough then waxed it in like water spots could try low speed buff see what your local detail shop says ,they may be able to get them out before you repaint you could have got it from the road that part of your car takes a beating rain mixed with god knows what in puddles ,that was probley not after market if it the trim like my 99 its sport package ?its an rs ,if it is a real rs the trim is stock ,an would not matter stock or not again gas mixed with oil in puddles anti freeze .could be just time did it too 17 year old paint job ,there could be other reasons but age an the thing i mention i have not had it happen ,but i keep like 14 coats of wax on my car to,the reaction to somthing we drive in or that got on the car makes sence too

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-10-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Mold?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 'black spots' on plastic trim