annoying starting car problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
so i scanned it and came up with no codes?? im very frustated and could use some insight, the fuel pressure tested good.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i am going to say the opti or ignition coil/control module. you should be getting a code. it could be the rotor is coming off, known to happen if you dont thread lock the screws. have the icm tested, there test does not always work for some reason soooo lol i used to carry an extra icm in the car with me.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear member

well should i start tearing down this engine bay?

Old 08-11-2014, 08:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how many miles on the car and has the opti ever been changed?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear member

its about 152k miles on car and as far as i know no.. there is a brand new alternater timing belt looks rather new but thats as far as i know that has been done

Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

normal life spann of a opit is 60 to 100k miles so if yours has not been changed i think its a new record. lol. dont get a cheap china opti. it used to be gm made a new performance opti that was top of the list but they are rebuilt now. we had a sponsor on this site that had a lifetime warranty and at a good price. ill have to look. in any case get one with a warranty. not fun to replace a week old opti even worse if you have to buy another one too. also if water pump is old pick up a new one. last thing you want to do is have your pump fail and leak on your new opti. be sure to take cap off and thread lock the rotor screws, i put rvt on the o ring seal and put electrical grease on all connections and plug wire ends to prevent water getting in.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear member

normal life spann of a opit is 60 to 100k miles so if yours has not been changed i think its a new record. lol. dont get a cheap china opti. it used to be gm made a new performance opti that was top of the list but they are rebuilt now. we had a sponsor on this site that had a lifetime warranty and at a good price. ill have to look. in any case get one with a warranty. not fun to replace a week old opti even worse if you have to buy another one too. also if water pump is old pick up a new one. last thing you want to do is have your pump fail and leak on your new opti. be sure to take cap off and thread lock the rotor screws, i put rvt on the o ring seal and put electrical grease on all connections and plug wire ends to prevent water getting in.
theres a brand new water pump in there, the engine bay looks clean as a
whistle. yeah i believe there might be a new record it did show me symptoms of an opti going out, like cutting off and id have to crank it 1-3 times and it would start right back up. another thing i saw was it taking a long crank to start up or id have to crank it 1-3 times for it to start. So it prob needed it. if u can find a cheaper deal then the one on summit racing im all in

Old 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did some looking and i think the place went outa business. chandler motorsports was what it was called and when they were a sponsor there product, return policy and service was very good. from looking it apears after they left things went down hill. better off getting from a well know source like summit or even your local parts store so long as you get warranty.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 PM
2nd Gear member

did some looking and i think the place went outa business. chandler motorsports was what it was called and when they were a sponsor there product, return policy and service was very good. from looking it apears after they left things went down hill. better off getting from a well know source like summit or even your local parts store so long as you get warranty.
will do to think she would do this to me when i just bought her new tires

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear member

okay so im in need of guidance and its kinda an emergency.... my car wasent starting before as i thought the opti went... now i go and try to start it today and it starts first crank and i took it for a ride a couple miles and it didnt cut off on me. i also waited a few minutes and started it again and it cranked right up.... i dont trust my car right now i need help on what i should do?

Quick Reply: annoying starting car problem