99 camaro 3800

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
,i am going to have the guy oil the chit out of it underneath ,not before i use a few cans of undercoating ,someone parked it on grass or graval to much ,but still runs great,so i think it still worth it
It is worth fixing but your process in from 1975. That will only slow the rust and anyone working on the car in the future will hate you. Once you have the holes sealed up you want to use products that are designed for this that will make a permanent repair. They are not expensive or hard to use. If you can jack the car up and get it on jack stands you can do it.

Find rust and convert to an inert oxide. Rust (ferrous oxide) should be converted to Black oxide. It is a simple chemical process. So you are converting rust into the same stuff that coats your Allen wrenches. I like the permatex product and almost every paint manufacture makes a version.

Permatex 81849 Rust Treatment (Body Filler Compatible) 16 oz. Aerosol Can, 10.25 oz. Net Wt

I would also suggest yearly undercar inspections. I do mine in the fall. Anything remotely orange or brown get the treatment.

As you may know if you leave an Allen wrench out in the rain it will eventually rust so it will need top coated. A special top coat can be used that seala out moisture and air. Most paints will do a decent job at this but there are sealers that are more focused on sealing and less worried about color.

Amazon.com: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Paint - Black Aerosol 15 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Paint - Black Aerosol 15 oz: Automotive

The amount of prep work is up to you. You do not want to seal over mud because it has oxygen and water in it and if it gets under your sealer the rust will continue. You should knock off any weak or loose rust because this process will not make it stronger. If it falls off later it will take the sealer with it.

After holes are patched it should take:

30 minutes to safely raise the car on stands.

20 minutes to inspect and spray the rust converted. (one can should be enough) Let it dry

30 minutes to seal all of where you want to seal. (one to 3 can depending on how much you do)

If you really want to get fancy you could finish with roll/spray on truck bed liner for a fix that will still be looking good on the day it goes to the scrap yard. I have not done it so no clue how long it would take on a assembled car.

Also you may want to search for POR 15 it is a one step process some jeep friends of mine swear by. Who would know more about rust issues then a jeep owner? Maybe a Ford owner but I can not imagine those cars are worth saving.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-08-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks gorn i am thinking about that some undercoateing spray i will look for permatex ,i am going to get about 4 or 4 cans ,then 4 to 4 can of the rustoiliume for rust ,theres no mud under there ,but i will try to make evrything black again ,its fuuny they put stainless exhuast on those cars ,the guy is going to let me get in there at the end of day give me a good hour to try to cover evrything ,then i will have them look at it each year right from the radiator bracket front subframe on back ,the other control arm will spray to ,then if need to replace that one next year ,i know what your saying not many body guys want to even mess with that ,this guy pretty cool small shop ,i did that with a 94 t bird one time just sprayed it good that was before it had any holes ,that car had only 46.000 miles ,on the t bird 3 years later it looked great ,my thought with this car is 3 good seasons out of it i should be able to get my purple one the way i want it ,then go back to one will see where life goes ,yes i will probley use some vht for rust as well ,it was used on my calipers on the 95 7 years ago an is still there ,though we sand blasted them too,not going to get into sand blasting ,just that good stuf that creates a seal ,i have used it on old shovels an 4 years later still there,they are going to weld metal plates in there i think is better then firberglass ,just the one in the wheel well will get fiber glass ,that was the only one i saw when i bought it ,,that calipers may be another job for next year .anything that can help them .hope just new pads ,but the rotors maybe shot bye now will see hope not ,i know there fairly cheap if you shop front ,back looks ok,will see i may pay them a few extra hours to spray everything that can be seen ,while right there ,an pay for the paint an sealer ,use the sealer in softer areas an the paint all other places ,i love slowing or stoping rust ,crease works good on ceratin things to ,but i need to seal it then have it sprayed like winter cars do,oh yes with the 95 thats all i ever hear is how clean it is couse it was allways stored ,probley do that one one day to before too,i took it to a dealer i used to bye brand new cars from ,they allways make it seem worse they want to sell you a knew car ,then i knew i need a second opion

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-08-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member

My dad bought a few cans of POR15 about 10 years ago. He only used a quater of one of them and closed it up. Years later I am dealing with some rust and he brings me the cans. The one he opened was no good but the other two were, ironically they were rusted to **** on the outside but the actual product was good. I have used it on all 3 of my camaros now and a quick light sanding then a coat or two of POR 15 and you'll never have to worry about it again. That stuff ****ing WORKS amazingly. Word of advice if you use it.. WEAR GLOVES and be careful that stuff DOES NOT COME OFF YOUR SKIN.. or anything else for that matter. Use a brush you dont mind throwing away afterwards because it wont be good for any more than that one single use. Stuff is miraculous otherwise.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM
4th Gear Member

great i am going to pay them an extra hour to just go over what evry they see includeing the spots they weld in a metal plate for now i am just going to try the undercoating from walmart got like 6 cans of it .$7.00 per can rubberized stuff ,was on sale ,for now then next year we can look at it again ,anything go to be better then nothing at all ,though it will be stored in winter too,yes i imagine haveing a resperator is need to spray alot of it on

Old 08-21-2015, 10:51 AM
4th Gear Member

update ,got the car back today ,they did not use my spray cans .he used the proffesinal grade stuff an got everything good ,i am going to do it for my sable to the winter car ,why not ,it cost an extra 100.00 ,an we had to replace the sway bar in the front too,findeing a used one was realy lucky iwas not waiting until next week then some .junk yard who has access to all salvage .to all on the east coast said there was 4 ,total ,so i drove to derry NH where they luckly had 1 of the 4 ,50.00 was right an worth the 4 hour ride too,.so next spring it will be front brakes tires ,ashould be good .good to go ,they did not see any leaks ,i seen one on ebay today $5600.00 91,000 miles no AC some just put to much value on base 3,8,i got to say it seems the price is .riseing for low miles camaros ,mostly the ss an z28, to find a z28 with 69.000 for $5500.00 i think its still possible but alot of shoping for the right one ,on .guy has 94 .v6 for 2750.00 ,an 194.000 miles that makes me laugh,yes i think i will ghet them all sprayed like .thats from now on .like the 05 sable with 65.000 miles hardly got driven ,so while the frame..an body is still good need to get it on,all the work was $640.00 i thought was very good price they had like 12 hours in it .cost of the undercoating ,wheel feels tighter too,they only have one lift ,or i would have got pictures next time looks good though like night day blacked out

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-21-2015 at 11:11 AM.