98 Camaro Alram keeps goin goff for no apparent reason

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Default 98 Camaro Alram keeps goin goff for no apparent reason

This morning i woke up to my alarm going off on my car. i disarmed it and armed it. 5 seconds later it goes of again. this kept happening so i went out to the car and i unplugged the shock sensor in the trunk. unplugging the shock sensor stopped it from happening. the alarm still works normal with the doors and all that so i just left it unplugged. it was raining at the time but i don't think that has anything to do with it because it had been raining for 9 hours with no problems. i removed the trim panels on the inside of the car to check for water leaks, i thought maybe the rain had caused a short someplace. but everything from the rear of the car to the BCM was all dry as a bone. i think i have a bad shock sensor. i also noticed the little red LED on the shock sensor itself never lights up. it is suppose too? either way i think the shock sensor might be bad. what do you think? is there something else i should check?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I think I have the same problem. I took your advice and removed the shock sensor and the alarm doesn't go off. Have you tried to adjust your shock sensor sensitivity? I read about it in the owner's manual on about page 2-15.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM

Adjusting it wasn't the problem. i took apart the shock sensor and removed the little circuit board. the back of the board was full of corrosion. it must have gotten wet at some point. based on what i found on My car, i believe replacing the shock sensor will fix it. i haven't replaced mine yet because i am lazy and the alarm still works without it. but one word of advise. if you do discover yours is corroded like mine was, i would advise you to check that area of the car for water leaks before installing a new sensor. better safe then sorry. you probably would rather not have a brand new sensor only last 6 months because of a pesky water leak you aren't aware of. Good Luck!!