95 v6. To v8 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM
4th Gear Member

K-member needs swapped too, not just the mount. Transmission, exhaust hangers, computer, some if not all wiring. Fourth gens, there is no easy way to swap engines unless it's an LS series car and you're swapping to a different engine in the LS family. Other than that it's complicated and costs a lot of money and time. Also, no one makes crate LT engines. Reman'd yes, but no crate.

How sure are you that the heads are "warped". You can lay a level on the head (not the most accurate) and use a feeler gauge to see how many thousandths you can fit between them. If they are within tolerance, you can have them and the blocked shaved to true them out. This will keep the original engine to the car. It's just finding yourself a quality machine shop. If they are out of tolerance, you can get reman'd heads and have the block trued up.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes, you would need to drop the engine with the k member then it slides rignt in. at a minimum you will need the engine compartment wiring harness and computer. not sure but i think the 95 might not need the under dash harness. it is a one year model concerning the computer and some wiring. you would also want the trans and rear end. or just save rear end and wait till the 6 rear end goes and it will. the 6 rear end is not be posi so you wont like it but could be fun for a day or two. you could do a quick search and see if theres a good used 3.4 in your area, highly unlikely but you might get lucky

Originally Posted by 95v6
What if I bought a 95 z28 lt1 and just swapped everything over to mine? It has everything already there so I should just be able to move it over aside from motor mounts?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 AM
4th Gear Member

the 95 3.4L an the 95 5.7L are not the same car they only look the same, yes with the v6 not a z28 ,mine was drop right in after we pulled a lot of wireing then mock up was a pain for pulleys ,so I told him if he had a v8 car that would be easyer to put a crate engine in it ,but still cost more then fixeing his or getting a desent used z28 an still a lot of work pulling a lot of wireing so on ,with his he starts with a shell meening no parts will work an everything is mods mods mods ,I guess what he thinks is the engine bay is the same for both cars there not the same ,one can take the v8 one cant ,so your 95 3.4l is not the same as my 95 z28 nothing about it accept the look of the car an mine now has 98-02 front end conversion ss clone too as you see in the picture below ,your car with a v8 the carb would not clear the hood ,with my car it was chooseing the right set up too, totally different set ups from yours ,so now you know I hope there is just to much work to put v8 in a v6 car yes guys do it ,but most know what they are doing we got one guy is like 3 years at it now still not done ,only people that modify cars know what to do at a huge cost ,an even they go with a lot of years experience trouble shooting

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-30-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95v6
What if I bought a 95 z28 lt1 and just swapped everything over to mine? It has everything already there so I should just be able to move it over aside from motor mounts?
This is the best way to do the swap. There are some advantages to sticking with the same year. See Below.

There is no Financial gain from saving your cars body. These car bodies are cheap. You could buy a Z28 with blown head gaskets and with about 1/3 the work be on the road with your entire car for spare parts. Also is you will be buying a used 20 year old motor, just putting it into a different body will have little effect on its life. Even a low miles 20 year old motor can give you headaches not to mention a 20 year old wiring harness being moved it ways its not been moved since it was installed.

BUT if you want to do it. Here is the real info.

3.4/3.8 V6 to LT1

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-thread-68658/

You may want to read all of Socom's threads. He did the 3.4 build, then 3.4 to Lt1 swap and the LT1 to Ls1 all in the same car.

The LT1 is an out dated platform. If you are just getting into it you should look the LS1 car (not swap). With a little tuning you can put just about any modern V8 in a LS1 car and they make a lot of power with bolt on parts. They are insanely strong and will take a beating.

Good luck on what ever you decide and make a thread about it.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-30-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:11 PM
4th Gear Member

good point is why I am moveing to ls1 or more down the road like I said in one post ,my lt1 to carbed engine has been fun an not so fun ,but the better cars are 98-02 no wonder I made mine look like one there is also the lt1 to ls1 swap too if you got to have the 93-97 look, my ultimate car in the 4th gens is a 98-2002 with an ls3 or even better an ls7 ,big bucks from one to the other though an about 600rwhp ,but I am happy with what in got for now ,the day comes I wont be ,ls engines like said got to much to offer to not head that direction ,though I love the car I have looking back efi is better an could have went ls3 for same money an about the same hp too,though I well taken care of carb is so much easyer to work on ,just for 92 cars on back ,they say a smart man learns from his own mistakes ,an even smarter man learns from others mistakes ,people love seeing the gen 1 one engine in my car don't get me wrong lots of conversation car shows ,but limited with what I can do with it .compared to EFI,most carbed crate engine swaps don't come as well as mine did, an sentimental value was my reasoning behind what you see in the pictures out as well as mine did

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 08-31-2016 at 01:04 PM.