Having a hard time understanding this

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Having a hard time understanding this

I'm getting a decent sized tax return this year, so it's gonna be like x-mas for Sofie. I was really planning on getting a new functional ram air hood to replace her stock one with the added scoop. But the more I looked into the ram air hoods, the more it didn't seem worth all the money. From what I understand, this wouldn't give me hardly any gain, especially at speeds under 100 mph? Is this right (keep in mind, she's a '98 3.8)? So then I assume my next step would be at looking into a CAI? I want added horse power (headers and a new muffler/tail pipes are already on the list). So my real question is, how does this all get set up on a 3.8? This website was shown to me http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=21046&BIG=21046-1 although this is for a v8 setup...can this work on a v6? I tried looking around, but I just don't understand technical terms...I'm a visual kind of learner. Any help would be appreciated. I know a bunch of sixers on here have CAIs, but I just don't know how to go about setting this up.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

K&N is an alternative for a CAI as well.

Are trying to build your Intake and Exhaust setup for one big purchase? Just trying to piece everything together?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I guess just piecing it together. I just don't understand this stuff. If I get a CAI, what other kind of mods do I have to do to make this function and perform the way it's suppose to?

Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

a CAI is pretty much a standalone mod...it just gives you cooler and more efficient airflow into the engine. best analogy i ever heard was to picture your engine as a breathing unit. it takes air in and pushes it out. the easier your engine accomplishes this the more work it can put towards the real fun aka horsepower. so the cai lets your engine take in air easier and better while headers and your exhaust help it expel its air smoother and easier. cais are pretty cheap and then headers are prolly round $250 for the 3.8 and depending on what you want to do with the exhaust ur pricing with vary quite a bit. as far as using the v8 setup its very different on the v6s. as far as a i know there is no way to do a dual exhaust because of the back axle. so basically you can get a hi flow cat and then an aftermarket exhaust such as a magnaflow to complete the system. hope some part of this is some help to you.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

you can do true dual exhaust...people do them a lot...however on your car i don't really see the point other than the loud factor. if i remember right, z28rob18 is using true duals on his lt1 build

Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whammer3024
you can do true dual exhaust...people do them a lot...however on your car i don't really see the point other than the loud factor. if i remember right, z28rob18 is using true duals on his lt1 build
hers is a 3.8 tho not an lt1...i was told that the v6s have a slightly diff rear axle setup that prohibits true duals...they would have to be side exits from what ive been told by a couple guys...but like you said on a v6 theres not much of a point for duals

Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

I have the SLP intake on my 3.8L. The SS hood won't work any way, even if the scoop was functional. The hood I have, Ultra Z, works great with where the stock intake box is on my car. The scoop is positioned right in front of the air box. The SLP intake takes air from under the car, where the air deflector is; it won't do anything for a Ram Air hood.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by pedwards3x
hers is a 3.8 tho not an lt1...i was told that the v6s have a slightly diff rear axle setup that prohibits true duals...they would have to be side exits from what ive been told by a couple guys...but like you said on a v6 theres not much of a point for duals
Gah, I hope I can do dual pipes, that was my plan! Not true duals, I don't think I put out enough hp to make something like that 100% efficient. My plan was Pacesetter headers (they're the only ones I have been able to find for 3.8s, if there's others, let me know!), and a Magnaflow muffler with dual outlets. They sell whole catbacks with dual pipes for sixers, so I assume I should be able to do what I wanted. I pretty much scrapped the idea of the functional hood (I wasn't even sure if it was possible on a 3.8) so that's when I turned to the CAI, which I knew nothing about. I think I have a good idea about them now. So the question is, which is better, the K&N or SLP? I know price wise the K&N was more expensive...

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

hey guys, im trying to figure this one out as well. with the slp intake package, everything will work except the smooth bellows, correct? the v6 bellows, i think, are longer since the throttle body is further back. what i was thinking was the slp induction package, and just making a smooth bellows if someone doesnt produce one.

as far as the exhaust, i am going to buy her a magnaflow muffler with a single inlet and dual outlets, 2.5" in and 2.25" out. is the factory intermediate pipe 2.5" at the muffler? i would like to not have to use an adapter if i can get away with it. for tail pipes i was planning on factory v8 tail pipes from a salvage yard and cutting them shorter and adding some nice chrome tips

Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
So the question is, which is better, the K&N or SLP? I know price wise the K&N was more expensive...
i have a slp on my 3.4 and its great. the prob i had was the pipe wasnt long enough BUT since you have a 3.8 SLP actually makes one for the 3.8 so it is pretty much follow the instruction they give you.

its all personal pref about K&N or SLP. i liked the fact that SLP was metal and not molded plastic.

and dual outlets is possible but true duals would be a lot more money (thats what the muffler shops told me)

Quick Reply: Having a hard time understanding this