95 3.4L no start

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Default 95 3.4L no start

hey fellas, i bought a 95 3.4L v6 camaro a few days ago, it ran excellent motor was just rebuilt 5k miles ago, went to start it last night to make a run for smokes but wouldn't turn over.

so today i got to checking just a few things..
pulled battery brought it up to auto store and they tested it, all was good just a little low on charge, so put it on their charger and they re-tested still good.
come home hook it back up try it again nothing.. no clicks, no turns.
all accessories have power, radio, a/c, headlights, etc..

headlights on turn key all stays nice and bright nothing shuts off except the radio which is normal..

i jacked it up to try and look at the starter but good lord there's like no way for me to even attempt to jumping the solenoid off.. just not enough room for my hands at all.

seems like trying to remove the starter would be a real PITA.

where do you guys think i should start? i have basic tools but only a test light no volt meter :/

also key on, security light does shut off like its supposed to, doesnt come on after attempting to turn the key to 'start' either.

i should say this incase it helps, when i bought it the ignition switch kind of had like a sweet spot you had to turn it to in order for it to crank otherwise it would act like the battery was dead spinning to slowly

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check ignition fuse. cant remember if its in the under hood or side of dash fusebox. take the battery cables off and wire brush the heck outa them, take the wires lose at the power junction box (small red plastic box on the passenger side fenderwell by battery) and wire brush the heck outa them as well. test for power to the small wire at the starter when the key is turned to start.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM

ive cleaned the sideposts off, and the juction box.
ive checked fuses, all good.

is there a place i can find the wire going to starter somewhere else that's a bit easier to access? i can't access the wire on the starter (hell i can't even see the small wire just the big one.. )

Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

might try ajusting the ignition switch, have a look here and see if it helps. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...mn-info-64804/

Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM

ok, but as for my other question about the 12v line that gives power to the starter solenoid, where else can i access it aside from the starter itself. can i get at it from under the dash or under the hood maybe?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

under dash at the ignition switch.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM

well i didnt want to take the colomn all apart seems like a pain..
i made my own little test light

so coming from the bottom of the colomn where all the wires come out the plastic channel, there are 2 different purple wires, one connects into a plug thats bolted on the steering colomn, this one supplys 12v with key 'on' but not at 'start'

the other purple wires comes out to the right and goes into a 9-wire plug which supplys no power at any time.

am i looking at the correct color wires? does anyone know which wire on which plug it is that i should be testing at the bottom of colomn?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

towards the bottom of the coluum is where the ignition switch is. there is a bar that goes from the key area to the switch. sometimes the shaft can get bent and it will not push the switch to start and sometimes the swicth gets worn to the point of not making connection as it did. the ignition switch is where you can test to see if its telling the starter to go. let me look a bit and ill be back.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like its a yellow wire.
http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic.jpg

i dont think it is required to drop coluum to access switch
http://shbox.com/1/ignition_switch.jpg

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't confuse that yellow wire with the air bag system yellow wire.
One makes the car go vroom, the other makes it go boom!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 3.4L no start