93-97 to 98-02 front end conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:45 PM
4th Gear Member

thank you I do feel proud ,we are going to get the gaps in tomorrow ,then go fishing so a half day work the rest play,yes I hope to get out of him enough to paint the car ,while it looks ok there is some dirt in the paint mostly on the hood ,if I don't will still get it right ,an right now its sitting in the closed garage bakeing the paint a bit ,will see after I wax it how it holds but yes beats the look of a smashed up car I had there before,the help from friend was a god send ,he did mechanics an body work for years an does it on the side year round,i think I found the perfect guy to help get this car done right ,an he gladly takes $20 per hour ,beats the 50.00 else where. we are going to move the fuel pump then get up the exhaust better set up with new cherry bombs full bore ,an new hose for power steering the guys I paid 50.00 an hour left me with a leaky hose looks like just needs next size up he is ok ok when he is not fighting with his girl ,thing with paying a shop is that when you tell him you get to certain point an he goes past you aloted amount ,you got this much money to spend ,he started out real well then at the end he drops the ball, from him I want up front estimates the thing is they will probley be so high its hard to find an good real honest mechanic anymore ,they sell used cars at very high prices don't know how they sell but people are you know ,an they do things all shops do with tranmissions that ere slipping ,first year he was brand new was ok .now just like any other shop there so hard to find a good one that's consistent ,
,an the work was not done right its to low the exhaust, the engine was done right ,will get there thanks again ,hands on nothing like it,he told me he knows how to tune my carb to get 15hp so I will work to get alot done this year ,couse this guy does a good job ,bit slower ,but I would rather so slower an get the job done right instead of 3/4ths right,bye the way I have been out there beautiful the huge sacoya trees an Beaverton org spent some time up on mount hood ,like hear very nice when its no raining

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-17-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Turned out looking pretty good, should be near perfect once you tune up the gaps and paint. Did you get those front end parts custom painted, or did they come off another car that color? They're darker than the rest of the car, is that the paint job on those parts or did your car fade?

Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 PM
4th Gear Member

yes I think was color match issue that's the color the only thing not painted was the passengers door an hatch all else its match atemps,thank you I am happy with it ,looks good from grams house ,yes I bought them painted. they did a crapy job ,another live an learn thing ,but I could have paid a lot more for an oem ss hood, was $1400.00 for all the hood is well made too so when all is done ,it will cost about the same as the estimate an to fix the paint $2800.00 ,I could have saved bye putting the 95 parts back on it ,but I wanted a new look after 8 years thanks Camaro 69

Old 04-19-2016, 12:40 PM
4th Gear Member

ok did not get much done Monday the hood latch was a bish ,one of the holes was not drilled out for the latch ,then the striker had to be shimmed about a 1/4th inch forward ,hood opens an shuts fine now, go figure the catch latch lined right up wont need hood pins couse its a well made hood any seller that recommends hood pins unless your putting it on v6 car don't buy it there junk that was the one part solid hood I got there makeing them better then just 5 years ago ,??????when I got the brackets turns out there was 4 brackets on the 98-02 instead of 2 on the 93-97 ,$500,00 new from gm, $120.00 used on ebay ,problem is we have is the bumper cover is off to the drivers side 1/4th inch ,but we think the wreck has more to do with that ,then the hood needs to be just tweaked to the passengers side an 1/8th then should be fine ,only way we may know would be to get those brackets ,they can be taken out an put back in from the bottom not easy but time will tell,shoukld be fine , I was so much thinking about the healights brackets ,but I call him magic man my friend will figure it out an pretty much did already ,couse the extra bracket is realy not needed ,I am sure some guys even made there own to work on certain conversions,so its road ready a few more things to tweak an will be there not perfect even a body shop would not have it perfect so I am excited to drive it soon ,$91.00 for plates cheap

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-19-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
4th Gear Member

so I think an can tell from pictures my power steering resvoir is siting up keeping the hood up a bit .so will move that down just a bit ,then move the hood over to the left ,should be about as close as we need for now 1/8th is acceptable 3/16ths 3rd brake light looks good $19.95 ebay ,you could pay $40.00 to 100.00 wrong place ,a good wash an wax job in about 2 weeks will look pretty good ,I am sure if one parted a car together with gm parts would be like 10X more then retail thrifty not cheap we need to be

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:00 PM
4th Gear Member

just siting seems to be settleing the hood ,now I don't think its anything in the way like power steering res no ,it may just be an adjustment in the latch that gap in front is gone when I push down ,mabey shim the cover up a bit shift to the left the hood should be there an gaps fine,one other thing is the splash on drivers side needs to be taken out an put it back in ,one things for sure we are very close

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 04-22-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM
4th Gear Member

As painful as it sounds next Tuesday we will take the front nose either off or loosen all the bolts to shift it back to the left . its over about 3/16ths to far to the right ,wich does not allow the drivers light to fit very well so another full day mabey a bit more ,an 1/8th may be fine but not more ,we will take a good look before we take apart to much ,again I think guys don't do write ups couse there harder then people think ,an situations will all be different ,if we don't move it over then move the hood left wich we need to they wont line up as well ,an it will look off ,oh well ,

Old 05-06-2016, 06:53 PM
4th Gear Member

well all done not perfect but acceptable gaps better then my red one ,took it around town today a lot of fun .now I know what I was missing all the power ,besides pictures of it detailed this will bring the thread to an end tomorrow after I detail the car depending on rain ,it dirty right now ,but I am happy to get it done ,an to sum it up they will all be different ,your working with plastic an fiberglass that has no give ,an a wreck could take more time or not ,there is plastic still on the lights ,wax job will be like night an day in the sun ,fluresent light does it no justice

Old 05-06-2016, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good,are you putting emblem back on?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 PM
4th Gear Member

yes tomorrow I will put a new one on it an detail the car an add my hot wheels badges like the new 5th gens have thank you I love it

Quick Reply: 93-97 to 98-02 front end conversion