70 DAYS monitoring coolant and motor oil levels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:09 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 70 DAYS monitoring coolant and motor oil levels?

regarding my '93 camaro v 6 3.4 Liter,

the least expensive problem of the 2 problems is also the most dangerous problem

but...they both have to be worked on all at once.

i was told when the engine is warm the coolant expands, then when u turn it off after driving, I guess the coolant does not expand? in the morning it comes out the exhaust via the manifold (by "it" meaning the coolant comes out in the form of smoke)...and it does something harmful to the piston rings

this problem above can destroy an engine *without* notice

sadly I have 70 days to save up

i drive the car 10 miles every 2 days that is a total of 3 x per week

***today, the mechanic told me it was ok to drive for 70 days but this coolant coming out the tailpipe in the form of burnt smoke is very worrisome since it can destroy the engine

*THIS IS THE VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THIS EXPERIENCED MECHANIC'S EMAIL: AS LONG AS THE COOLANT LEVELS AND MOTOR OIL ARE MONITORED IT SHOULD BE OK TO DRIVE FOR 70 DAYS UNTIL I AMASS ALMOST 1100 BUCKS FOR THIS PESKY PROBLEM.

what does the motor oil have to do with anything?

Anyway, I'm assuming u put coolant or check coolant levels in a camaro v6; 3.4 liter engine that is already leaking coolant so this coolant is a variable or Wild and spews or spills onto the piston rings? and does this mean smoke coming out the tailpipe in the morning is not the problem, but a symptom of the problem. In other words, a symptom that the coolant is flowing onto the other engine parts and causing gunk. Does that what it means to reseal the upper intake manifold as shown in his below written estimate?

here it is, I just want to confirm what this mechanic told me, that it's cool to drive for 70 days till I get 1092 bucks for the below 2 repairs, 1 being the least expensive one but which can kill my camaro instantly without notice

thanks members,
cut and paste:
1) Labor Service- reseal upper intake manifold $209.00
NEW MS93020 INTAKE MANFLD ST / Engine Intake Manifold Qty: 1, Price: $51.56
NEW 130-1750 WATER PUMP / Engine Water Pump Qty: 1, Price: $75.31

2) Labor Service – remove timing cover and reseal. Replace water pump as well if customer desires to pay (parts only for water pump) $712.50

NEW TCS45827 TIMING COVER ST / Engine Timing Cover Gasket Set Qty: 1, Price: $31.31
Parts: $151.18
Labor: $921.50
Subtotal: $1,079.68
Sales Tax: $12.65
Total: $1,092.33

*by the way the coolant is leaking near the timing chain and another drag racing friend told me it's a 3 handed job very tedious, very labor intense work. stuff falls down and i guess has to be realigned for this type of coolant leak repair.

Last edited by CamBigCat; 05-28-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 PM
4th Gear Member

well with my lt1 engine I drove it for near a year like that ,for me it was my water light had come on ,I drove the car easy during that time .we still could have saved it ,so I would just drive it easy ,or when at all possible drive another car .take taxi may be an option or not where you live ,just drive it easy ,but if there is a way to not drive it at all ,with mine I just did not know ,couse it was so slow ,it was those last few months though it ran a bit hot at times,though we are talking 2 different engines as well though they allcan fall prey to the gasket issues I think its job security for dealers an garages to ,I have friend does imports all the time ,does all the gaskets then put them on the lot for sale to run another 100.000 ,so the point is a lot of cars have the same issue ,though I think some handle it better then others,he sometimes gets ones that just need an engine an some that can be fixed it when they get it apart good mechanic can tell

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 05-29-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
well with my lt1 engine I drove it for near a year like that ,for me it was my water light had come on ,I drove the car easy during that time .we still could have saved it ,so I would just drive it easy ,or when at all possible drive another car .take taxi may be an option or not where you live ,just drive it easy ,but if there is a way to not drive it at all ,with mine I just did not know ,couse it was so slow ,it was those last few months though it ran a bit hot at times,though we are talking 2 different engines as well though they allcan fall prey to the gasket issues I think its job security for dealers an garages to ,I have friend does imports all the time ,does all the gaskets then put them on the lot for sale to run another 100.000 ,so the point is a lot of cars have the same issue ,though I think some handle it better then others,he sometimes gets ones that just need an engine an some that can be fixed it when they get it apart good mechanic can tell

thanks this is all very good inof ^ Have a Happy Memorial Day weekend.