2001 Camaro SLP options

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Default 2001 Camaro SLP options

I am rebuilding a 2001 z28 SS Camaro. I notice this has a air intake labeled SLP. When I bought it I also got the stock air intake. There is a registration page at the SLP website and I inputted my VIN and it came back valid. My question is: Was there an SLP option for the 2001 and if so what did it consist of? Or was this strictly an aftermarket thing. Any help would be appreciated...Ted

Old 09-10-2014, 02:46 PM

SLP was the company that upgraded a z28 to an SS. Chevy produced and sent a Z28 to SLP, SLP made some mods (hood, spoiler, exhaust, grille, badges, wheels, etc -- depends on the option package chosen. it wasn't an all or nothing, other than they ALL had the hood and spoiler and SS badging...), added an SLP option sticker on the door, and printed out an option sheet that went with the car to the dealer.

https://www.slpcamaro.com/

I actually just came across this site today -- you register, then put in your vin, and it will tell you what SLP options came with the car. If you got the stock intake, most likely the SLP intake was "aftermarket"-- meaning added after the car was purchased by the original owner. SLP didn't give any "stock" parts along with the car. The completed SS was considered stock, and sold as an SS.

SLP began upgrading z28s to SSs in 1996 on a limited basis.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ninety6
SLP was the company that upgraded a z28 to an SS. Chevy produced and sent a Z28 to SLP, SLP made some mods (hood, spoiler, exhaust, grille, badges, wheels, etc -- depends on the option package chosen. it wasn't an all or nothing, other than they ALL had the hood and spoiler and SS badging...), added an SLP option sticker on the door, and printed out an option sheet that went with the car to the dealer.

https://www.slpcamaro.com/

I actually just came across this site today -- you register, then put in your vin, and it will tell you what SLP options came with the car. If you got the stock intake, most likely the SLP intake was "aftermarket"-- meaning added after the car was purchased by the original owner. SLP didn't give any "stock" parts along with the car. The completed SS was considered stock, and sold as an SS.

SLP began upgrading z28s to SSs in 1996 on a limited basis.
1999 or 2000 they moved the SLP conversion to in house at GM.

OP, If your car is a true SLP SS, there should be a sticker on the passenger door for the RPO and then below that, there should be a sticker from SLP. You are also looking for RPO codes WU8 and Y2Y. WU8 will indicate it is an SS. Y2Y will indicate that it received alterations from SLP. You can have an SS and not have it an SLP SS