Wipers stopped working but started to work randomly and stopped again

Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Wipers stopped working but started to work randomly and stopped again

Okay, here's the whole story from the beginning:

First off, one day I was driving and I got something on the windshield so I tried to spray it and wipe it off. It didnt work. I tried every other mode, they didnt work. When I bought the car, the wipers only worked in very low, medium, and very high, our of a lot of settings. The next day, I decided to see if they worked... they didnt so i left the switch on by accident. Well when I was driving about 5 minutes later, they started working. The next time I started my car, they didnt work again. So I dont think its the motor. So I decided to check to see if its the switch. So I took my switch out and put it in my girlfriend's Camaro and put her switch in my car. Well my switch worked in her car and hers didnt work in my car. So I am out of ideas. Can anyone tell me a reasonable solution to this problem. Thanks in advanced...

I dont think its important but i have a 94 V6 3.4L automatic

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its the wiper motor brain aka curcuit board. you can buy the board only but when i got the motor out i was not going to do that again unless i had to so i got the motor and board.
Name:  wipermotor1.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  29.9 KBName:  wipermotor2.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  33.8 KB
Name:  wirpermotor3.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  32.5 KBName:  wipermotor4.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  25.9 KB

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Id check your wires and connectors. Kinda sounds like a loose connection. Same thing happend to me.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay dope hows it goin. so where was the lose connection at on yours?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

right on the connector on the motor. i could wiggle the wires around and get them to kick back on. and doing good, my misfires got fixed, the o2 sensor wires got melted to the headers lol, didnt tie that side up.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

craby: maybe i am just over looking it, but where is the circuit board in the pictures?

Also, like I said, I only had 3 settings on my switch that worked for my wipers. Would replacing the motor make the other settings work?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM

My 95 is still having that problem. Most of the time they only work on high, but just the other day they worked right. I checked the connection but the problem remains. Gonna take the motor out and check things out.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the board is in the motor housing, thats why i was saying if i was going to take the motor out anyways i was gona replace the whole thing so i didnt have to do it again to replace the motor. yah the board tells the motor when to come on and off. mine started out stoping on the wrong side then would not work on delay most of the time and then it wouldnt park when turned off. thats when i changed it.
Originally Posted by shinwolf14
craby: maybe i am just over looking it, but where is the circuit board in the pictures?

Also, like I said, I only had 3 settings on my switch that worked for my wipers. Would replacing the motor make the other settings work?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well... I replaced the motor... not fixed. Any other suggestions?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

crab i was sure that was it, the wiper switch should be in the blinker arm, thats an easy change. ill look in the book tonight and see what i can find before you spend anymore time/money on it. got a soccer game to go to right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wipers stopped working but started to work randomly and stopped again