1997 z28 Brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Default 1997 z28 Brake light issues

Alright guys, I'm having some issues with my brake lights. When the car is off, the brake lights work. but when i turn the car on, the brake lights will not work. i pulled the fuse for the tail lights and the brake lights work while the car is on,but i obviously do not have tail lights so i cant just leave it like that. And also, my headlights come on when the car turns on, and i dont think theyre supposed to lol. any help is appreciated.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

did this start on its own, did you do some kind of work on it before it started? brake lights should have power all the time like the headlights. 1995 4th Gen F-Body Exterior Lights

Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1997 and up, like yours, have the daytime running lights option. The fact your brake lights don't act up when the rear running lights fuse is pulled suggests that you may have a short or bad ground in the tail light circuit. Start by cleaning all the bulbs and sockets, reinstall them using dielectric grease. Then check/remove/clean your ground distribution connection in back to make sure you have a good solid ground.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by craby
did this start on its own, did you do some kind of work on it before it started? brake lights should have power all the time like the headlights. 1995 4th Gen F-Body Exterior Lights
It started on its own. I've only owned this car for about a week.
Originally Posted by Camaro 69
1997 and up, like yours, have the daytime running lights option. The fact your brake lights don't act up when the rear running lights fuse is pulled suggests that you may have a short or bad ground in the tail light circuit. Start by cleaning all the bulbs and sockets, reinstall them using dielectric grease. Then check/remove/clean your ground distribution connection in back to make sure you have a good solid ground.
Alright thanks. I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Okay, i looked at the sockets and the left one was heavily rusted. tried removing the bulb but broke it off in it. I finally got the bits and pieces out of it and put a new bulb in it and it was still operational and the problem continued. i noticed the 3rd brake light didnt work so i removed the bulbs and replaced them with new ones. now when when i push the brake pedal, the 3rd brake light lights up but the other two go out.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is there any chance this is a flood car? Sounding like a grounding issue. Did you replace the rusty socket?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Is there any chance this is a flood car? Sounding like a grounding issue. Did you replace the rusty socket?
i did not. i just sanded down the inside of it where the bulb could make a clean connection. And not that i know of. everything else works fine on it and is really good shape.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

replace the socket. most likely still not getting good connection.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by craby
replace the socket. most likely still not getting good connection.
alright but would a faulty socket cause these issues? for both of the lights?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

should also be a ground back there somewhere, under the latch catch i think. need to pull the carpet up and have a look at the wiring anyways.

Quick Reply: 1997 z28 Brake light issues