1994 Z28 need Heat help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1994 Z28 need Heat help

I'm typing this on my phone so please forgive any spelling errors. I'll try to be as specific as possible. 1st off everything in the cooking system is new except for the hoses and water pump. New radiator, thermostat, heater core. I live in Michigan. Average ambient temp around this time of year is about 20° Fahrenheit. My car runs fine except for some minor misfires. No coolant leaks, no over heating. I have bled the cooling system several times and had Ur flushed. It has 50/50 universal antifreeze in it.

My problem is the heat doesnt get hot. It appears to get about luke warm maybe 40- 50°. I'm at a loss at this point. The flow restrict or in the lower heater hose has already been bypassed. The car runs at just about the 1st notch im the temperature gauge while cruising. Gets up to about the middle while idle and the fans do come on if the temp needle goes just past the middle mark. By my view this is all normal. Blend doors for direction and temperature do work. Why dont I have hot heat?! Engine getting warmer doesnt seem to improve heat either. Accelerating has no effect either. Some thing I have noticed is traveling faster during warm up like highway driving does DRASTICALLY increase warm up times. The temp gauge will hover just over the 160° mark for about 10 minutes. Also my car is not currently shifting into OD because I changed the rear end to a 3.42 ratio from the 2.93 it came with and havent reprogrammed it yet. Although this is killing my MPG, I dont see why it would affect my heat. Does my car have some of those vacuum contoled heater control valves? If so where the hell is it? O'Reilly lists one for it, but I can not find the dang thing. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreaciated!!!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

listen for the thump when you change heat level, look here https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...84/#post587081 also the restrictor in the heaterhose is to slow the flow and allow the engine to heat up faster also slower flow will let the heat transfer better in the core.

Last edited by craby; 02-10-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you craby. The man as always. Do you know of any part I could substitute the flow restrictor for? Like a 3/4 hose connector with a restriction in it? I could probably modify one with some filter material and sale glue it into place or use epoxy... or if I find the original style part maybe there is a threaded nipple adapter I could use to clamp the hose on to on the other end?

Last edited by cjgordon117; 02-10-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here is one for a v6,,, wonder if they are different??? 1995 CHEVROLET CAMARO 3.4L V6 Heat & Air Conditioning : Heater Valve Auto Parts you might give the local parts store a call and see if theres a generic one around.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I work at O'Reilly's but we dont directly list it. I'll they cross referencing PN tomorrow. Do you think thats my problem though? The missing flow restrictor? I did that trick with the temp **** and I definitely heard the "thump"

Old 02-12-2015, 04:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it is a good first thing to look at. the coolant that goes through the heater core by passes the thermostat so opening up that hose caused way more fluid to pass. grab some vise grips and clamp the hose part way closed and see how it warms up. probably be a good idea to re bleed air out of cooling system. park car on steepest hill around with the front of the car on the up side. let cool and check coolant level. start engine with radiator cap off and see if the coolant level drops or you get bubbles. if needed refill put cap back on then drive around the block a few times and do it again until there is no drop in level.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have our equivalent part made by murray on order for tomorrow. Its only $10 and 10 minutes of my time... well plus bleed time. Have you or anyone else heard of someone bypassing that restrict or and then losing heat quality?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes. also seen air lock in heater core, heater core plugged with gunk after someone mixed green and orange antifreeze.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:35 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
yes. also seen air lock in heater core, heater core plugged with gunk after someone mixed green and orange antifreeze.
OP states the heater core is new

Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok, put in the restrictor. Bled the car THREE times with the nose up. Still no hot heat... I'm stumped.

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 need Heat help