82-92 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Tires and long term storage...??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Tires and long term storage...??

Well gents, looks like Im leaving soon for a overseas deployment. My hot rods will be sitting idle for a full year. Ive heard people say to raise the cars off the tires to avoid 'flat spots' but its generally discussed with RV's and such. Is this an old bias-ply issue? My tires are BRAND new and I dont want any issue....is there any merit to raising the car on jack stands for a year?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Huh.....maybe I should ask some jackass question about a K&N airfilter or a V6 to Big Block swap....cmon.....nobody here has had to store a car long term?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 PM

Ive Had my car in storage before for a year with brand new tires no problems at all.. my buddies have never put there 69 camaro on stands either before and have been stored for over 2 years i think you should be okay but any else had problems before ??

Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

Are you storing indoor or outdoor?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by ScottD
Huh.....maybe I should ask some jackass question about a K&N airfilter or a V6 to Big Block swap....cmon.....nobody here has had to store a car long term?
I store a couple of my cars for the winter, and even longer (none have a K&N filter though)! Your tires may have a temporary flat spot that may go thunk thunk at first, but it will run out. I've had it happen, but it's not a lasting condition with radials.Yeah, I've heard the same thing about bias tires, but didn't get to test that theory. When I was driving cars back in the bias tires days, I wasn't storing the car, I was driving it every day.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
Are you storing indoor or outdoor?
Indoor storage, my garage. Unheated, but dry and (until now) no vermin. Ive never worried about it before, but this will be my first time storing a car for 12+ months.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

it is a good idea to put your car up on stands and let all the air out of your tires while your away. it guarantees that you have no problems when you get back home

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by rusty vango
it is a good idea to put your car up on stands and let all the air out of your tires while your away. it guarantees that you have no problems when you get back home
Why would you want to let the air out of your tires? All that will do is back the sidewall pressure off the inner lip of the wheel rim, letting yourself open for the possibility of corrosion/rust to form, then a future leak.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Rusty has had a few "unique" posts now....

Scott, I think you are fine by properly inflating the tires, fully filling the fuel tank and treating the gas, (maybe drain the bowls), and removing the battery. 12 months isn't too long to leave. If it were in the three plus range, then mayber more extreme measures are necessary.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, Im going to have to drain the carb manually. I treated the full tank of gas, but got sidetracked on some other projects and hes currently not in a state where I can start him and run the bowls dry. Hmmm, How am I going to empty the bowls on a Edelbrock?

Quick Reply: Tires and long term storage...??