Third generation Ignition cylinder.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Default Third generation Ignition cylinder.

Hows it going folks. Quick question, my ignition cylinder jammed on my 86 Camaro with the pivot steering wheel. I bought the new part, but I am having some issues removing the steering wheel and getting the job done. As of right now shes sitting in front of my house cold and lonely. Any words of assistance in assembly would be great. thanks.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Do you have the right tools? After you get the right tools take pictures as you take apart so you can put back together the same way.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 PM

As of now all ive got is my rachet set, single edge blade, screw drivers, and aAlan wrenches, what else would i need for the job?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
4th Gear Member

Wrong tools.... I had a locksmith change my igintion lock set and he did it in 10 minutes or less and the steering wheel was not removed. Lesson if you don't know/or don't have the tools let someone who knows what they are doing do the job.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Sometimes you need a tool to compress the spring to get the snap ring out so you can get to the lock cylinder.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 PM

thanks guys Im gonna just let someone do it and watch so i know how if this ever happens again. Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by blackz87
Wrong tools.... I had a locksmith change my igintion lock set and he did it in 10 minutes or less and the steering wheel was not removed. Lesson if you don't know/or don't have the tools let someone who knows what they are doing do the job.
Was this on the Camaro with a factory Column? I don't think so. I know this column up one side and down the other and you CANNOT replace the ignition tumbler without removing the steering wheel, plastic lockplate cover, Lockplate (with that damned little wire clip) then comes the turn signal switch, and before you can get to the cylinder you need to remove the buzzer contact. Then and ONLY then can you get the cylinder out of the column.

You will need a Lockplate tool that you can find at most auto part stores. It screws down on the column shaft and then you tighten a wing nut to move the big U down on the lock plate which presses it down far enough for you to use 2 small screwdrivers to release the little wire retainer. DO NOT MANGLE THIS RETAINER!! your column will not go back together properly with out it. That little clip makes sure the lock plate does not come off and also holds proper pressure on the upper bearings of the column. If you are only going in as deep as the ignition cylinder then this is the only special tool you will need. Also dont forget to slide the little retainer back down the shaft before you put the tool back on to reinstall the lock plate.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 AM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Massey;428883]Was this on the Camaro with a factory Column? I don't think so. I know this column up one side and down the other and you CANNOT replace the ignition tumbler without removing the steering wheel, plastic lockplate cover, Lockplate (with that damned little wire clip) then comes the turn signal switch, and before you can get to the cylinder you need to remove the buzzer contact. Then and ONLY then can you get the cylinder out of the column.

Well I guess you don't know all the tricks about changing the 1987 Camaro lock cylinder. Stock column with the original factory lock clylinder and like I said, New lock clylinder & new keys in less then 10minutes without TAKING OFF THE STEERING WHEEL. You don't know as much as you think you do.

]

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Overdrive Member

um... yea... 10 minutes, maybe for cutting a new key from your old cylinder. Take your column apart some time and tell me how the hell you get the cylinder out when there is a BOLT holding it in. Not a push pin like a Ford. Oh and the ONLY way to get to this bolt is to remove what I said.

When the Camaro/Firebird, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, Grand Prix, Jeep Cherokee, And many other GM and Chrysler products used this column (yes it is the SAME column as some Chryslers) and they were stolen frequently I supplied 3 body shops in my area with replacement columns. I used to rebuild them professionally and there is NO WAY TO REMOVE THE LOCK CYLINDER with out tearing into the column. Before you open your mouth about what you think you know try doing it yourself.

Massey

Old 06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Overdrive Member

OH and even if there is a way to remove the center of the tumbler out of the whole cylinder you cannot get to the rolled pin that is pressed into the end of the cylinder which acts as both a stop to keep you from turning the cylinder too far and as a pin that keeps the center and the outer shell together. Maybe you dont know as much as you think you do.

Massey

Quick Reply: Third generation Ignition cylinder.