Need Major Help 92 V6 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Default Need Major Help 92 V6 3.1

I'm not sure if this post should go here or not, but I'm in need of major help with my 1992 Camaro RS V6 3.1. Fuel pressure is good at the pressure check valve. Fuel pump is working good. The problem is.. When I try to start it, it turns over but will not fire. So, I took the intake off and had someone spray gas into the intake, and I tried to start it.. It will start and continue to run as long as someone is spraying gas into the intake. I wondered if it was the Injectors, however I'm not sure how all of the injectors could have stopped working at the same time. I also do not know what all controls the injectors, could it be a relay or fuse, if so where are the fuses and what relay works the injectors. Anything else you suggest I try, please go ahead and suggest it. I am at the end of my ropes with the crimson bird..lol Been trying to fix it but to no avail. ~ 92 Crimson.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Can you pull codes from your computer? Is your check engine light on? You want to look at the fuse marked ECU, I think. I can not remember but I think the computer uses the same signal for spark and fuel. Your computer controls the injectors.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM

I can't pull the codes. When I turn the key over to the on position, the lights on the dash come on, Security, Service Engine Soon, Inft Restr, and all of them go off but the Service Engine Soon. I also cannot find a fuse "ECU" I find one "ECM" and I find two fuses "INJ1" and "INJ2" not sure, but they are all good. I tried again today to start it, and it turns over and sounds like it's trying to fire but does not start up. Should I go to a parts yard and pull a set of injectors and see if they help, or should I just try something else. I bought the camaro from a guy back in may.. He was having trouble with the gas tank, it had sat for a while and the liner of the tank had been eatten off by the Ethanol they put in the gas.. So the tank was very nasty. Well we dropped the tank after buying the car, and we cleaned the tank. And at this moment the tank is clean and the gas is clean.. But the car just won't start. I've exhuasted my theories and my question is, what should I do next?

~92Crimson

Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Ok, Would like to say two things added on to what I've already said.

I unhooked the fuel line under the hood - The line going to the fuel rail. And I turn the ignition on and the fuel pump comes on and pumps fuel out for about 5 seconds and then cuts off.. Shouldn't it continue to pump since it cannot build up pressure?

My second question.. Ok, this is after I hooked the fuel line back up. I then unhooked the return line, and turned the ignition on, and the pump comes on and then cuts off after 5 seconds, yet no fuel, not even a drop comes out of the return line?

Could it be a bad Pressure regulator? Because the 92 V6 3.1 has the regulator build onto the fuel rail. Just a thought. Any help would be amazingly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 AM

change the computer!! ECC under dash pasenger side. they go out all the time.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 AM

I had thought about replacing the computer, but someone suggested before replacing the computer to buy a Code Reader and see if it pulls the codes. Should I do this before putting 80 bucks out for a new computer?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Did you check to see if you were getting spark? maybe you have bad coil, cap or rotor. I've heard only fuel suggestions. You have fuel but no spark sounds like. check around the distributor for bad wiring or something unplugged before you buy a ecm you might not need

Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The fuel pump is working as it is suppost to. The pump turns on with the key but if it does not a signal for from oil pressure sending unit within 10 to 12 seconds it cuts off. This is a saftey thing.
If it was starting with spray then ignition is fine. Your Service Engine Soon lite is suppost to be on when ever your motor is not running. It should read code 12 with the engine off. (12= no ref signal from the dis)

You said earlier the fuel pressure was ok. I assumed that ment you checked the fuel pressure and it was good, if so then your regulator is fine. If not check you fuel pressure! You can find small test lights that your injector connector can plug into . If the light is not blinking and you have spark that really point to the ECU AKA ECM. Carful using anything other then a light designed for this. If your voltmeter/test light draws too much power it will fry the ECU.

The way this would have went for me back when I was working on these cars. Was tow car in. Use a spark tester check for spake, you have that. Check fuel pressure, I'll assume you have that. Check for signal at the injector, None. Check fuses and pull codes. Most of the time I would get high number codes most of them in the 50's. 55 comes to mind but that was 20 years ago. Sometimes I got no codes, not even 12. I have had a few that gave me code 12 and no other but it still did not work. I then Pulled the ECU pull out the Prom. Get a new ECU install the orginal Prom in it. Install it back in the car and she fires right up. The only reason I type this is was to let you know this was a common problem even back when these cars where new. Course now it could be anything due to age but back in the day I would see a couple a month like this.

Since I stoped working on car in 89 I am not sure of how this process is effected by the Vats system.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-18-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Droid

Have you checked the FI fuses?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM

I did check the FI Fuses.. They are good. Sorry for the late response. Problem is still not solved.. I did buy a new ECM and that didn't fix my problem.. So I took the fuel rail and injectors off and will try to go buy some new injectors next week. If you guys have any other suggestions just post em. ~92Crimson

Quick Reply: Need Major Help 92 V6 3.1