1991 Camaro RS Won't start!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Default 1991 Camaro RS Won't start!

Ok so i bought my 91 rs from somebody and the car won't start. Well you turn the key the engine turns over and it wiil try to start and when it does within a second or less it will die with a putter-like sound to it. Checked the fuel pump you hear it click, and the fuel relay click and took off the hoses and gas was coming out of the hoses so its getting fuel. The VATS, which i thought was it the security light will turn on for 2 seconds and then go off like its uspossed to. the battery is good, but grounded the neg to the front chasis, idk if this would cause it not to start. checked the resistance in the chip in the key with 11.73 tried to bypass vats with resistors still the same thing had it started enought for temp. gauge to to turn to hot then drop down to cold then it dies. I really don;t know what to look for now. Dont know if it could be a ignition problem? the poeple that had it before replaced the ECM and sparks plug. Before it has a Nitro Box on the intake but two red and black wires cut, and running apparently after they cut it. You think if i got a copy of the key it might start? without the chip in the key? check the fuel filter? I really need help been working on for 4 days morning to night can't figure it out!!! its a v6 3.1

Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it was your VATS, the engine wouldn't even turn over and the security light in the dash would stay on. So you can rule that, and the key out.
You hear the fuel pump "click", but does it run for a few seconds with the key on and then turn off? Even if it does, that still doesn't mean it's putting out enough pressure to push fuel past the injectors. You would want to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail to see if it's where it's supposed to be. Your issue could be a dying fuel pump or a bad pressure regulator. One way to check for a bad regulator is by removing the vacuum hose that's connected to it and see if there is any gas in the hose. When the diaphragm inside the regulator goes bad, it will leak fuel and the vacuum line sucks it in.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM

The person I bought it from had put a new fuel pressure regulator on it.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM

I have been having the same issue with my 87. Here is a link https://camaroforums.com/forum/82-92-v6-tech-44/1986-2-8l-mpfi-camaro-need-help-42650/

Like you I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel rail.
With this issue You may have a compound problem.
My timing chain was shot Distributor shot.

Have you cheched for spark?
Are you getting air?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I am having the same problem! I have had one successful start when I replaced my coolant temperature sensor. It started and ran / drove until I turned it off, then It wouldn't start again. It would only crank. I replaced the sensor again and looked for a place that it would short but didn't see any, and again it started up, then after it ran a while shut it off, then again, no start. I'm really not sure whats going on, but you can check the coolant temp sensor. It will cause a no start if its bad.