Intake Manifold Crack

Old 09-04-2014, 01:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Intake Manifold Crack

I put a new engine in my car and didn't notice the intake manifold crack, even though when i pulled it off it's clear as day. So now I have all this coolant in the engine >_<. It's draining very slow, very white and watery. The engine has 195 miles on it and I have changed the oil.. 3 times.

I had a mechanic inspect it and said that the bearings could possibly be washed or we can get a new intake and do a couple more oil changes and this should fix the problem.

Any ideas to helping me clean out the engine without taking it out of the bay ??? If you're gonna tell me to get a new engine then i dont wanna hear it. I want to try and see if this will work, if not i will just have to junk it or sell it =\

Old 09-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The bearings wouldn't be washed unless you ran the engine with coolant in the oil pan. Right now stuff is just getting wet, flush the crankcase well with oil.
To prevent a flood, you should have drained the radiator to lower the coolant level in the engine before removing the intake.
"Coolant in the engine draining very slowly"? Any coolant that got into the cylinders or lifter valley should have gotten mopped out and dried off. Don't let the coolant keep sitting in there.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
4th Gear Member

No problem - mop up and drain as much as you can.
As suggested, get a couple oil changes and filters and this wil clean out the engine crankcase.
Might as well pull those GM gorilla-tightened block plugs and drain the rest of the coolant out and start clean.
Replace the GM plugs with petcocks.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Was the engine run with coolant in the oil? Cut the last filter in half. Is the shinny particle in the paper? If its you third filter and it still has particles in it she is done for. If not it might be OK. If she starts tapping or knocking in the next few weeks you know she is done.

As a general rule coolant in the oil is a death sentence for a motor. It all depends how long it was in there and how much pressure it saw. The block must be cooked in acid to get the babbit that came off the bearing and got stuck in the bearing ports out of engine.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

OK WOW! Thanks for the advice! I like having hope haha.
So far I have removed the valve covers and cleaned them out spotless.
I have also cleaned out the valley that the intake manifold covers.
I haven't had any knocks since I have had the new engine.. But it has become a little harder to start. She seemed "plugged up" but no knocks or pings. I think I will take another quart of oil and rubb it around the valves and in the valley.

I really appreciate the answers!! Thank you!