won't start after driving for 15-20 min.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Default won't start after driving for 15-20 min.

Need help i bought an 89 camaro RS V6 2.8 after i drive it for a little bit it won't start up. When i turn the key it does do anything. I can hook jumper cables to it and it fires right up. Had the battery. And alternator checked and was told they are fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-18-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Droid

Make sure the battery and ground cable connections are clean and tight & check the cable terminals for hidden corrosion.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 PM

I have brand new battery cables

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes it can. Did you check to see that you have no spark when that happens? First thing I would suspect is the coil, only because I've had it happen on a couple of vehicles. Other people's results may vary. Another possibility is the ignition module inside the distributor. The coil would be my prime suspect though.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Does it start after engine cools down? If engine starts after it cools down then Check for good grounding Make sure your negitve cable from battery grounds right to the block and another one to the frame wire size 1 Awg

Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Yes it does start after cooling down. It will start if i hook jumper cables to it when hot.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM

Changed the battery, ignition module, neutral safety switch, and coil. Car still does the same thing. Running out of idea's

Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by karlscala
Changed the battery, ignition module, neutral safety switch, and coil. Car still does the same thing. Running out of idea's
sorry to have seen this so late

let's catch our breath and plz bear with me as I do not know the history and only know what i can read in the thread

car starts
when hot, car won't start
let cool down, car starts

battery has been replaced with a brand spanking new battery, correct?

when hot, using jumper cables connected to another car, your car will start

question: is it a manny tranny? If so, when hot, have you ever tried putting the key to "run" and then getting the car up to about 5 mph and popping the clutch in 2nd gear? Does it start? (be sure to put the clutch back in or it will stall)

If auto tranny, does the starter sound labored when hot and when adding the 2nd source of energy it cranks faster?

wanna guess where I'm heading with this?

Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM

The starter i have changed. Put a new 1 in and had same problem so put the old back. I'm thinking. I might have had a bad new starter. And yes it cranks right up when popping. The clutch

Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by karlscala
When i turn the key it does do anything.
What does that statement mean? Did you mean "it doesn't do anything"?
If so, do you mean the starter does not crank the engine? If that is the case, do you hear a click at the starter?

Quick Reply: won't start after driving for 15-20 min.