When to change oil! Third Gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default When to change oil! Third Gen Camaro

I have a 1990 RS TBI Camaro.

I am wondering when is the best time to change it's oil.

I've been going by the "3month or 3k miles" which ever comes first.

I know hte newer cars go longer or w/e. But what about 3rd gens?

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Follow the Owner's Manual.
If you don't have one, download one.
I'd go 5K miles

Old 11-17-2015, 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

#1 check your oil the older car a lot ? what oil do you use ,todays oils are more about the new engines an there takeing out the much needed zinc an phosphorus ,that is needed in the older pre 90s engines an some newer ,I use vr1 Valvoline oil in my 406 ,an add one once bottle of zddp wich replaces the lack of zinc in todays oils ,check it every few weeks ,you can use what ever oil you want ,I was told that most important was the zddp one ounce ,I also use stp at about 2000 miles or when it looks low puts the viscosity back in it ,an go to 5000 some changes ,your probley good at 3000 miles ,if its not a newer engine , maybe you knew mabey not, all my cars are below 100.000 miles ,over that I would use high milage oil an zinc addative ,the ones with extra things in them are just addatives you don't need,the newer engines can go longer an depending on how your driving ,if you drive it hard then check it more often .some real expsecive oils are said to go 9000 miles an more ,a full synthetic oil can be the best choice for older engines ,one thing a friend told me no matter what its better to have a few extra ounces of oil then to be low on oil no matter what the color,some don't know the even new engines burn oil an some more then others

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-17-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I change my oil every 5000 kilometers. I don't care if the owner's manual says longer, or that the oil I use is supposed to last longer; having new, clean oil in your engine cannot hurt it. I use AMSOIL myself, because I'm friends with a dealer that sells it to me at cost.

And I'll tell you. Every time I go to change my oil, I wonder if it's really necessary to do it that soon. And every time, as soon as I'm done, I know it was the right move. The difference in how my cars run on fresh oil is that noticeable.

So yeah, put me down on the side of "it's better to change your oil too often than not often enough."

Old 11-18-2015, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
I change my oil every 5000 kilometers. I don't care if the owner's manual says longer, or that the oil I use is supposed to last longer; having new, clean oil in your engine cannot hurt it. I use AMSOIL myself, because I'm friends with a dealer that sells it to me at cost.

And I'll tell you. Every time I go to change my oil, I wonder if it's really necessary to do it that soon. And every time, as soon as I'm done, I know it was the right move. The difference in how my cars run on fresh oil is that noticeable.

So yeah, put me down on the side of "it's better to change your oil too often than not often enough."
Well said, thanks Saint Ebony! I too feel the same way.

I always use a Stop Oil Leak Lucas when i change my oil. 3 quarts 10w30 Quaker State. The engine has only had Quaker State, since I bought it as a rebuilt from SureFire engines.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:09 AM
4th Gear Member

so you got a leak oil leaks can sneak up on you Amsoil if your using the kind ,I think should last you a lot longer ,why throw away clean oil, to each there own 5000 KM is 3100 miles so basically its the same ,all depends on how you drive it ,heck I knew a guy he changed his filter every 10.000 an just added oil an got 200,000 out of one of his cars an the most important thing is to keep it topped off,i would not do that personaly ,but the worst thing can be to let it run out wich people do ,or to low,my friend tells me often they blew the engine from lack of oil ,an as low as 12.000 miles he is a mechanic,an he does 5 or more engines each year for that reason alone ,the other is blown head gasket ? 3 quarts of oil what car holdsjust 3qts ,is that the 2.4l

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 11-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I know a guy who has had to rebuild his Camaro's engine twice in under 10,000 km, for which the total cost was more than twice as much as that car is worth. That guy is me.

I'm through taking taking chances on the assumption that it "should be ok." I keep a much closer eye on the condition of all of my cars, and I prefer to stay on the cautious side, now. I'd rather spend a little extra on oil than risk having even more expensive repairs.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 AM
4th Gear Member

I would suspect that most 3rd gen cars do not have a lot of miles being put on them now. I for one do not drive my car much over 3000 miles a year and I adjust the oil & filters changes to a time period and not miles. I also have a six qt oil capacity with a larger filter.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:38 AM
4th Gear Member
Default yes

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
I know a guy who has had to rebuild his Camaro's engine twice in under 10,000 km, for which the total cost was more than twice as much as that car is worth. That guy is me.
? how did that happen lack of oil ,3000 miles is fine ,I was just saying what works for me ,that while sometimes I got 5000 miles between changes ,meens I drove the car like gram ,an put some stp oil treament at some point ,how could you have had to rebuild 2 engines in 6200 x2 . miles ,having anything to do with oil ,mabey I am just confused ,with my 406 right now I am still going through breakin so loss of oil during the first 5000 miles is normal sbc ,I used joe gibbs breakin oil for 600 miles then went to the vrl change it again at 1500 miles then will do again 3500 to 5500. then I should be good ,its actually normal to lose 1 to 2 quarts during the first 1000 miles then every 1000 till about 5000 so burning 5 to 8 quarts is normal during breakin ,after a rebuild or a crate engine,so the point being I was told to change it 3 to 4 times during the first 5000 miles ,someguys don't follow that way of breaking in an engine ,an I broke it in a bit hard too

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 11-20-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:45 PM

I use Amsoil and only change my oil once a year whether it needs it of not. lol. I keep my car under cover 4-5 months of the year. Lucky if it get driven 3000 mile all summer.
I am a dealer and do buy at cost.

Quick Reply: When to change oil! Third Gen Camaro