Squeaky Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Everett#2390
I, also, never had a problem with Gatorbacks or Dayco.
WD40 kills squeaks and ants on contact.
Good on hornets nests if you soak. light, and run.

Dayco are good belts. Only issue I ever had was once snap due to a pulley bearing eating itself.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't find Gatorbacks at any local shop, carquest, autozone, napa,oreilys,
Gatorback is a good year brand and when i called a goodyear quick service shop...

they said they couldnt sell me one out right and that they would need to put the belt on and blah blah or i would pay extra for the belt and i could put it on myself.

They also said the belt was bought out by Continental ? so maybe the name has changed?

I'll try a delco and see what happens...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't sweat the Gatorbacks. Get Dayco....not Delco. Dayco. Autozone carries them.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Automatic Belt Tensioner
This looks liek a good read...
Short and simple.

I do see a miss alignment... my power steering pump and alternator look further in than the rest of the pulleys...

i can also turn my serpentine belt almost completely around...from the bottom side of the belt to face up, i can almost do it... so maybe it's the tensioner?

I think i will purchase a mechanics stethoscope and see if i can locate the problem by putting it to each of the bolts....

It says the the squeak could be coming from the tensioner, and it is a automatic tensioner.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:34 PM
4th Gear Member

You certainly got something going if the belt deflecting (twisting) that much. How much slack does the belt have if you pull straight up on it?

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 10-10-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

So I ended up buying a Dayco and the belt slips off.

I'm thinking it's the tensioner.

When i SPRAY THE BELT with water, the RIBBED PART, it stops squealing.

When i spray the belt with BELT CONDITIONER, it squeaks MORE!

I'm going to get a new tensioner... and a belt.. see if that works..

When autozone tels me the belt that is used for the car.. the belt never fits, its just a little too small.. quarter inch or so.. so i've been using this other belt

= Belt # ive been using (not sure if its duralast or valuecraft) The delco belt same size as this slipped off the treads on the harmonic balancer.

= Tensioner tension... not sure how to read if it is godo or not. Any clue anyone? if this tension is good ?
ALso, this is an automatic tensioner right?

another pic

Last edited by B_Dubya; 10-17-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

After taking off this belt and putting on the dayco back to putting on this belt... now it squeaks when the car accelerates... badly...
I guess that means it is slipping?

Old 10-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You should be grunting a bit when you get to that final movement of the tensioner to get the belt on. If the tensioner moves with ease, it's shot.
Are you sure you're rotating it as far as it will go?
You want to put the belt on all the ribbed pulleys, and the last pulley you slide the belt onto is a smooth idler or water pump. If you're saving the alternator pulley for last for instance, then you might not have enough clearance to get the correct size belt on. The longer (wrong) belt may be part of or all of your slipping problem. What is "tight"? You shouldn't be able to spin the alternator pulley/fan by hand, engine off of course.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You should be grunting a bit when you get to that final movement of the tensioner to get the belt on. If the tensioner moves with ease, it's shot.
Are you sure you're rotating it as far as it will go?
You want to put the belt on all the ribbed pulleys, and the last pulley you slide the belt onto is a smooth idler or water pump. If you're saving the alternator pulley for last for instance, then you might not have enough clearance to get the correct size belt on. The longer (wrong) belt may be part of or all of your slipping problem. What is "tight"? You shouldn't be able to spin the alternator pulley/fan by hand, engine off of course.
It is difficult to pull the tensioner back..... i have to pull p hard. it doesnt seem stuck, just seems good tension...

I usually AM! saving the alternator pulley for last... and ur right, there is no clearance to get it on.. its like a quarter inch too small...

with the belt off.. i am able to spin the alternator fan with ease by hand. but i could even before i installed it. It gives a good charge, so i dont think it's bad.

I hope it is my problem! i will go and try the recommended belt tomorrow.

THe idler pulley pushes down on the belt, not rides along top of it... the idler pulley is connected to the tensioner pulley and the tensioner pulley pushes the belt down to create tension.

heres a pic of how the idler pulley is with the belt in place..

The water pump is ribbed... the only pully i have that isn't ribbed is the idler pulley...
With a little indication of what things are. (im sure you already know)

Old 10-18-2015, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is a video of my squeak, with reving etc. It starts up just like this...
The squeak was not this bad until i tried to put a dayco on of the same length.

The power steering pulley is the only pulley that has a slight wobble.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cXQuOyw6JOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a picture of the recommended belt pulled all the way back on the tensioner by my buddy as i take a picture..

i could get the belt on all of the pulleys, but i could not get it under the idler pulley,

as you can see there is at least a whole inch or inch and a half that the belt would need to move down to be under the pulley

Quick Reply: Squeaky Pulley