Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  
Go Back   Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum > Third Generation (1982-1992) > 82-92 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 AM
2nd Gear member
No cars in mtn_maro's garage, add now

Default reasons for alternators to not charge the system

my alternator isnt charging my car. i dont want to just pull it off and take it to autozone or w/e to get it tested. would prefer to try things out first. so what reasons would there be?

future plans- crate 350 gonna be dropped in....need money first, 4th gen seat, reupholstered interior(doing it myself) going to add positraction, manual transmission swap(not sure if ill do a five speed or a t56 but it wont be a t5 suggestions on five speed trannies that would be a good candidate are much appriciated)
Old 04-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Overdrive Member
No cars in Saint_Ali's garage, add now

Send a message via AIM to Saint_Ali Send a message via Yahoo to Saint_Ali

are you sure its not the battery ? if the alternator isnt charging your car,most likely something inside has gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch
i know, I was like dammit Ali is awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by whammer3024 View Post
here's what you will get from reading it all...

whammer and ali are awesome and everyone else here is below us
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
No cars in Camaro 69's garage, add now

If you have a test meter, you should be getting around 14 volts at the large red wire stud connection on the back of the alternator. One thing that could be bad (and is the likely culprit) is the internal voltage regulator. Look at the back, and through some slots in the case you should see a shiny metal which is the back of the regulator. The "other" wires that plug into the alternator, are actually plugging right into the regulator. Take a small screwdriver, touch it to the back of the regulator while also touching the screwdriver to the alternator case. That grounds the regulator and puts it into "full mode". If your alternator starts to whine from the load, and your voltage spikes up, then it's your regulator that's bad. It's about a $15 part, and it's up to you if you think you can rebuild the alternator. I've done quite a few, it's not that hard to do.

393 Stroker, Tunnel Ram, Dual Holley's
"I only live for today, but I'm one day behind"

Eats Rice and Poops Out Fords.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 69 View Post
If you have a test meter, you should be getting around 14 volts at the large red wire stud connection on the back of the alternator. One thing that could be bad (and is the likely culprit) is the internal voltage regulator. Look at the back, and through some slots in the case you should see a shiny metal which is the back of the regulator. The "other" wires that plug into the alternator, are actually plugging right into the regulator. Take a small screwdriver, touch it to the back of the regulator while also touching the screwdriver to the alternator case. That grounds the regulator and puts it into "full mode". If your alternator starts to whine from the load, and your voltage spikes up, then it's your regulator that's bad. It's about a $15 part, and it's up to you if you think you can rebuild the alternator. I've done quite a few, it's not that hard to do.
ok. ill check all of my connections first then ill try that. if that doesnt work ill pull it and bring it into kragen or autozone and get it tested

future plans- crate 350 gonna be dropped in....need money first, 4th gen seat, reupholstered interior(doing it myself) going to add positraction, manual transmission swap(not sure if ill do a five speed or a t56 but it wont be a t5 suggestions on five speed trannies that would be a good candidate are much appriciated)
Old 04-24-2009, 03:24 AM
2nd Gear member

oh yeah. thank you for your help. any more suggestions wouldnt hurt

Old 04-24-2009, 07:34 AM
4th Gear Member
No cars in blackz87's garage, add now

Alternators are know to fail....Duh
&
Not a Project Car.....Daily driver
Old 04-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
No cars in Camaro 69's garage, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackz87 View Post
Alternators are know to fail....Duh
Haa, haa...funny one!
This would be the simplified answer to the question: An alternator stops charging when something with it goes bad.

393 Stroker, Tunnel Ram, Dual Holley's
"I only live for today, but I'm one day behind"

Eats Rice and Poops Out Fords.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club
No cars in microkid's garage, add now

Send a message via AIM to microkid Send a message via Yahoo to microkid

dont forget to inspect the wires and the cable connections. ive seen people spend $200 for a new alternator just to find out it was a $10 wire that was corroded inside the insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingReject View Post
If I have 300hp...I wanna be able to hear, smell, and feel it...
Mmm cam.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microkid View Post
dont forget to inspect the wires and the cable connections. ive seen people spend $200 for a new alternator just to find out it was a $10 wire that was corroded inside the insulation
that was the first thing i checked. took it to autozone and kragen and got it checked. ended up being bad. so im gonna replace it

Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Activity Stream
Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  

Tags
350, 87, 93, alternator, bad, camaro, car, chevy, internal, location, reason, regulator, test, voltage, z28