Ran out of gas and now cant start

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Default Ran out of gas and now cant start

Hi Guys

This morning I started my 1984 V6 Camaro with about a gallon of gas in it, and I might have run out of gas. I bought this thing 2 days ago, so I know very little about its gas mileage and if the fuel guage works. So after the car died on me I got mad/stupid and tried to restart several times.

When the a tow truck pour a gallon from a spare tank, my camaro wouldn't start, or even make a sound when I turned the ignition. The choke light and check engine light both came on at this time. Did I mess up the starter or kill the battery after trying to restart the car without gas? Or could something else be the problem?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Ran out of gas and now cant start

Error

Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Overdrive Member

You will never hear your fuel pump run on a 84 with a carb. It has a mechanical pump mounted on the engine block. The only one that had any type of FI in 84 was the 4 cylinders.
Running it low on fuel though is bad. There is only a small fuel filter in the carb that could plug easily. Best just to remove that filter and install an inline if it has not been done yet. But at least with your carb you can look in it for a fuel spray while working the throttle. If the check engine light was not on before then there is most likely not a code in it.
Check for your fuel and check for your spark.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Mike, I thought all the 2.8's were TBI? [&:]

Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The 2.8 wasn't FI until 85, if I'm not mistaken.
Inferno, your mechanical pump may still be sucking air. You might want to try to give the carb a little something to "drink". Take a spray paint can cap and fill it about half way with gas. Carefully pour it down the carb, and then try to start the engine. That might be all it needs to get things flowing again. And DO NOT pour gas down the carb with the engine running. I've seen how a back-fire could turn things ugly.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Overdrive Member

Thats right. 85 was the first year for the V6's MPFI.
Its been a while since I has seen one of those carbs but there is a small rectangular metal screen screwed onto the top of it. If memory serves me that is the float bowl vent and fuel can be poured into there to fill the bowl.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you do everything they told you and still don't start you should check to see if your pump is getting gas. There is a sock type filter in the tank. I have seen it before where after a car runs out of gas that sock get all load up with crap from the bottom of the tank and will not allow gas to flow.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

unless I am miss reading him, his car isnt even cranking now (or even make a sound when I turned the ignition.).
maybe the battery is drained as well andneeds a charge first?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Overdrive Member

I think you may be right. Post #2, which is now edited, was way off on its content and while trying to correct the misleading info it seems things got a little side tracked. But the OP has not been back yet so must have figured it out and left us! I think we have been used, abused and refused. [&o]

Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Thats right. 85 was the first year for the V6's MPFI.
Its been a while since I has seen one of those carbs but there is a small rectangular metal screen screwed onto the top of it. If memory serves me that is the float bowl vent and fuel can be poured into there to fill the bowl.
Thanks... Not like I know much, or care to know much, about the 2.8

Quick Reply: Ran out of gas and now cant start