i Really Screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Question i Really Screwed up

ok i have a 86 camaro it have a 350 in it i has took off my air filter and dropped the wing bolt in the carb so i left it in for a couple of days forgot it was in there and i started the car for about 10 sec.. and my engine was making a scratching noise .. please some one help what can i do to get this bolt

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaro86monster2506
ok i have a 86 camaro it have a 350 in it i has took off my air filter and dropped the wing bolt in the carb so i left it in for a couple of days forgot it was in there and i started the car for about 10 sec.. and my engine was making a scratching noise .. please some one help what can i do to get this bolt
pull the heads off and pray theres not a hole in the piston! probably gonna have bent valve for sure!!!!!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 PM

yea i hope the guy at auto zone said it might be in the intake still since i didnt run the car long

Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would start with the intake but you will most likely pull a head and the chances it did not hurt anything are next to nothing. I have seen brass jets from a carb make a block not repairable, A steel wing nut is going to do some damage.

Do not even try to crank it until that is out of there.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by A2TURBO
pull the heads off and pray theres not a hole in the piston! probably gonna have bent valve for sure!!!!!!!!
yea ill try that first thing in the moring

Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

yea i hope the guy at auto zone said it might be in the intake still since i didnt run the car long
not with the noise in my experience once it makes noise its in the cylenders. however you could pull the carb off and use an extendable magnet to fish for it before tearing all the way down

Old 01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep start tearing it down till you find it. at best its in a side cubby in the intake. at worst its in the cylinder scraping the wall, after jamming a valve and tweeking it. oh and i changed your title, this is supposed to be a family friendly site. please keep that in mind, thank you. i thought maybe using i really winged it but just didnt sound right, lol.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by craby
yep start tearing it down till you find it. at best its in a side cubby in the intake. at worst its in the cylinder scraping the wall, after jamming a valve and tweeking it. oh and i changed your title, this is supposed to be a family friendly site. please keep that in mind, thank you. i thought maybe using i really winged it but just didnt sound right, lol.
ok its cool .. ive never took a intake off a 350 what do i need and how do it take.. and if i take the intake off upon puting it back together is there anything im going to need to replace

Old 01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

ok its cool .. ive never took a intake off a 350 what do i need and how do it take.. and if i take the intake off upon puting it back together is there anything im going to need to replace
I dont think I would buy any thing until I found the wing nut and assesed the damage. at this point you really dont know how far down you gotta go. you need to understand you may atleast be looking at a new piston that would require a compleate gasket set if the block is damaged you may be looking at a new engine
:icon_brick s:

Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

gaskets, gota take the throttle linkage off carb, fuel line to carb off, easier to remove carb, remove distributor, disconnect any brackets like the alternator, again easier to just remove alternator most times, disconnect egr if it has one, any other wires and such that are going to the intake, then remove the bolts to the intake. best to loosen from the outside in, like when torquing them only opposite. im sure im forgetting a few things, lol, been a while from working on a older car. you should pick up a repair manual for your car, best to get a factory service manual but a chiltons will work in a pinch. take pictures before you start and label everything you can so you know where it goes.

Last edited by craby; 01-05-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spellin lol

Quick Reply: i Really Screwed up