Is forced induction an option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Is forced induction an option?

Ive done all I can to my 350. There simply isnt anything more I can do to really net more horsepower. Ive been playing with the idea of a mild blower. My question is, is my engine built to withstand it and will it still be a daily driver?

My bottom end is a stock crank, 2 bolt main, slightly upgraded pistons. (not stock but not top end, something in the middle). Im running plain old head gaskets. Do they even make a blower that will fit vortec heads? Lastly, is there a way to do id for less than 2k?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Simple answers in order (not including the question in the title)...no, possibly, I'm not sure, and no.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, will a blower shred a 2 bolt lower? Has anybody ever seen a 2 bolt fail where a 4 bolt wouldnt have? (Im being serious)

What other mods am I missing?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For starters, you need low compression pistons 8.0:1-8.5:1 max. Your "slightly upgraded pistons" lends me to believe they're already higher than that. So now you gotta open her up anyway. Generally, when somebody builds a blower motor, they go with a 4 bolt main. I'm sure it's been done with 2 bolt mains, but 4 is an extra insurance policy. Blower motors aren't usually built to be "babied".

Old 10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

I swear to god Im just gonna juice the car and be done with it. At least when I blow the bottom end out I wont have wasted 2k on a blower. 8*)

Old 10-10-2010, 11:29 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScottD
I swear to god Im just gonna juice the car and be done with it. At least when I blow the bottom end out I wont have wasted 2k on a blower. 8*)
I suggest that you look around.

For anywhere between $1,000 and $2,000 I can find several recently rebuilt stroked small blocks with upgraded heads, forged internals and 4 bolt mains. People are hurting and I spoke with a guy who had over $5,000 invested and would take $1500.

So, to answer your question, and to be frank and don't be offended, first, your engine is far from having everything done (vortec heads; come on now) and why spend $1,000 to juice it when your fuel system is probably not up to the task and you'll run way lean?

look for an engine and then sell yours for $500 and your net out of pocket would be anywhere from $500- $1500 which is a heck of a lot less than reworking your 2 bolt.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:12 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Forced induction is opening up a new can of worms, Scott. If you're up to the work and cost, go for it. Personally, I'd build a 383 and upgrade your cam. You would easily be at the 450+ hp mark, depending on what cam you go with. Your bottom end isn't near stout enough to handle nitrous or forced induction, you'll blow it up pretty quick.

As for the above post, I would probably NEVER buy someone elses "performance" engine. Odds are you're just buying their headache, who the hell knows what's actually inside it, how well it was built, and how well it was taken care of. Well, actually we probably know how it was taken care of (not good).

I'd get this kit from Skip White:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...Q5fAccessories

Then get some splayed 4 bolt caps, a more aggressive cam, and work the Vortecs a little more.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

if only you had efi...
http://www.mentalsocket.com/Iroc87/

Old 10-11-2010, 08:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with the above. Unless you have forged internals, you're toast with a blower.

Give us the build spec and maybe there's places you can get more power for less than the cost of a blower.

A 2 bolt main naturally aspirated should be good to at least 600 FWHP... I"ve seen some go as high as 750.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by InjectorsPlus
I agree with the above. Unless you have forged internals, you're toast with a blower.

Give us the build spec and maybe there's places you can get more power for less than the cost of a blower.

A 2 bolt main naturally aspirated should be good to at least 600 FWHP... I"ve seen some go as high as 750.
My signature line tells the story of the motor. (Not to be redundant) I know IM in the high 300 hp range. (we guessed 380ish a while back) The only addition I have not done is roller rockers which Im told will net between 10-15 horse, and thats just worth the time and expense in my opinion.

The blower was just an idea, kicking tires so to speak.

My new project arrives tonight....a Bradley GT kit car. 40 HP of pure German Muscle! (for 500 bucks I couldnt pass on this winter project)

Quick Reply: Is forced induction an option?