code 42 running sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default code 42 running sluggish

so im getting an intermittent code it usually is when the vehicle is already in operating temperature then out of nowhere it stutters a bit then runs sluggish ses will turn on its a code 42, i turn vehicle off and boom its gone but its repititive every day ive changed rotor,cap, ignition control module, any had this happen to them before????? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 87 camaro z28
so im getting an intermittent code it usually is when the vehicle is already in operating temperature then out of nowhere it stutters a bit then runs sluggish ses will turn on its a code 42, i turn vehicle off and boom its gone but its repititive every day ive changed rotor,cap, ignition control module, any had this happen to them before????? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
2 threads on the same topic.

I really do suggest breaking out a $20 bill and buying the shop manual to which i provided a link

lemme see what it might be. But, do you just want to toss parts or do you want to diagnose? If the former, we can all provide a list of best guesses, if the latter, then spend $20

it could be

corrosion
wire
ign module
ecm
dirty contacts within ecm or chip

or a host of other things which might possibly affect a 26 year old vehicle

the main reason you want the shop manual, so you know how things are supposed to be and can take it from there. After 26 years, these cars have been passed around and generally to people who can't afford to make correct repairs or maintenance

Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

mmm i see well i replaced the ignition module which made it better then i realized one of the wires going from maf sensor to computer was cut i repaired that and it stopped stalling but now code 42 problem persists and it runs on back up mode after reaching operating temperature, camaro 69 adv that the copy of the service manual is illegal? could there be legal consequences for purchaing the service manual

Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 87 camaro z28
mmm i see well i replaced the ignition module which made it better then i realized one of the wires going from maf sensor to computer was cut i repaired that and it stopped stalling but now code 42 problem persists and it runs on back up mode after reaching operating temperature, camaro 69 adv that the copy of the service manual is illegal? could there be legal consequences for purchaing the service manual
it's the actual manual that i saw on ebay

when i say

"pick up a copy" it does not mean a photocopy

Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
4th Gear Member

OBD 1 DTC 42 is ignition bypass circuit malfunction.
Meaning the brown wire may not be hooked up as the single wire connector is disconnected to set base timing. Always sets DTC 42.

Pass side kick panel.

Yes, spend the money and get a manual, well worth it.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

so i got one for you all, so ive still been having intermittent problems with code 42 running sluggish and stalling at times when reaching operating temp, today i unplugged the maf sensor and it drove better than with it plugged so im guessing this points to a failing maf sensor? but im curious as to how a failing or bad maf sensor would throw a code 42? and can i drive with the maf sensor unplugged?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you unplugged the MAF sensor and got no difference in engine performance, then I would suspect the MAF as being bad.
What you're likely experiencing is the computer putting the ignition & air/fuel system into the pre-programmed (open loop) mode when you unplug the MAF, masking the code 42 ignition symptom. You need to get that taken care of before suspecting anything else.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok so pretty much either the ecm is bad or there is a open or short in one of the wires correct? having that i already replaced the icm?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Those would be the logical things to check next.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
it's the actual manual that i saw on ebay
when i say "pick up a copy" it does not mean a photocopy
The one you showed on ebay is a photocopy...just sayin!

Quick Reply: code 42 running sluggish