Buying a 3rd gen....NEED advice bad!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Buying a 3rd gen....NEED advice bad!

Gentlemen,

I have posted a couple of times on here asking various questions. i want to give you my pipedream now and get some thoughts. I know this is the place to ask.
I am selling my 2007 Rav4 that I just got from my wife after buying her a minivan. I am assuming I will walk away with 8500 dollars.
I am in Texas and have made up my mind that I want a 89-92 Camaro with fuel injection (5spd or auto). Lots of different reasons for the year models.

My question is how much does it normally cost to do a partial restoration? I am only talking about getting the car to where it is reliable, does not leak, looks good (inside first, then outside).

I have been a dirt-track racer for 13 years so I know my way around small blocks. I will be doing modifications to the drivetrain as money permits,. I have read alot about the various tuning mechanisms now which excite me.

Where is the best place to buy a car. I am willing to buy one partially modified if I knew a little about the car...I would even be willing to drive a little distance to pick it up. Like I said, my budget is going to be in the 7500-8500 range. Can you give me some options?

Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM
4th Gear Member

so many questions

I'll only address the vehicle questions and stay away from the rationality.

where to buy- that's easy, anywhere that has no snow or road salt
anywhere that does not promote corrosion

partial restoration- define partial?

It comes down to personal taste. For vehicles which I'm going to drive a lot, I don't want smelly carpet, torn seats, droopy headliner, windows which don't work, mismatched interior or bad exterior

I want to know with good assurance that if I want to go on a 1k mile trip that i have no hesitation in taking that vehicle. If it's a hot climate, my A/C had best work.

I don't want to be consuming oil or have a slipping tranny or clutch

my "partial restoration" of an 89 included

rebuilt engine (305 TBI) I farmed it out as it was cheaper than machine shop and doing the rest myself
rebuilt tranny and new torque converter
new radiator
new heater core
complete new A/C system
new alternator
new water pump
all new hoses and I mean ALL, vacuum too
new weatherstripping- ouch it was expensive for strips of rubber
new carpet
new headliner
new interior
new sun visors
new window motors
new hatch pull down motor
new stereo
remove nasty seat fabric and restuff seats and replace with leather
all new bulbs
new brakes, drums, calipers, rotors, wheel cylinders
all new lights
body work and painted (if you can't do that yourself then allow a few $thousand)
new exhaust
new shocks
new bushings

Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Look on Craigslist. I just searched in my area and there a few very nice looking ones with no rust and good paint for $5k and under. If "restoring" one, you're going to spend more than you can buy for one already done, or in great unrestored condition. Yes, it would be easier to find one with no rust where there isn't any snow/salt, but those tend to be daily driven cars that get sun all day every day, beating up the (not so durable water based) paint. These cars were, but haven't generally been driven in the snow up here for many years.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Torque is Good,

I guess I could have explained further. I have found exactly the list that you mentioned to be what my thoughts are and I have all the necessary supplies to do paint and body work myself. I guess I will just start part pricing on Summit.

Where did you get new vacuum lines just out of curiosity for things like the lines that go to the AC diaphragms etc...

What I am getting at...is I need a little more help that my little bird head can hold in and I will need to spend my money extremely wisely at first. Reliability and cosmetics.

On a 20+ year old car, I would like to see a rebuild on motor and trans personally, but most of the 5,000 dollar jobs in or near Dallas, Tx have neither but they look ok and I mean just ok.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just my opinion, you want a L98 350 car. They are only automatic trans but the 350 will take a beating, the 305 not so much.

On paper the motors are close but anyone who drove both cars new knows that is complete BS. GM engineers refused to put the 5-speed in the 350 because of the torque.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

How do you tell an L98 350 car? People do not tend to advertise that way.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Look on Craigslist. I just searched in my area and there a few very nice looking ones with no rust and good paint for $5k and under. If "restoring" one, you're going to spend more than you can buy for one already done, or in great unrestored condition. Yes, it would be easier to find one with no rust where there isn't any snow/salt, but those tend to be daily driven cars that get sun all day every day, beating up the (not so durable water based) paint. These cars were, but haven't generally been driven in the snow up here for many years.

Sage advice

if you're looking to "hit the ground running" which is what a daily driver must be, then the above is spot on

If you're a sick pup (like yours truly ) who likes projects sitting on jack stands in his garage, then go for a project vehicle.

with respect to hoses/tubes, any parts store can hook you up with various sizes and lengths. A cookie sheet with aluminum foil and an oven can make any hose nice and pliable and you can then work in bends. Coolant hoses should be factory but vacuum, make sure the Mrs is out and head to the kitchen.

Look under the hood of some older cars some time and you might see chrome valve covers, chromed accessories, fancy pretty wires, but cracked vacuum hoses.

Geez louize, for 2 bucks and 45 seconds in boiling water and you can get rid of the cracked hoses

Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyCriswell
How do you tell an L98 350 car? People do not tend to advertise that way.
first, you need to understand that almost all sellers will tell you that it's a "350"

heck, if it has 8 cylinders then it must be; right?

Anyway, tuned port injection is easy to identify with your eyes

the harder part is the casting numbers

bring a mechanics mirror, flashlight and hand wipes/towel

others can chime in but me thinks (dangerous thing to do I know) that one location is in the front of the passenger cylinder head but another is in the back near the distributor

jot down the numbers and thanks to the marvel of modern engineering and ubiquitous 3G and 4G coverage, Google it right then and there.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Great information thanks. I was trying to stay with a 305 initially for gas purposes while I work on a 350 build for later down the road. However, I am beginning to rethink this.

How much does it typically cost to all of the seats re-covered in leather from your experience?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyCriswell
Great information thanks. I was trying to stay with a 305 initially for gas purposes while I work on a 350 build for later down the road. However, I am beginning to rethink this.

How much does it typically cost to all of the seats re-covered in leather from your experience?
you can ask my wife and kids and they'll tell you that no matter what the engine, I always have gas. Is that what you meant?

I had the 305 when I got my RS simply because the car had all of the trim and even the center caps for the wheels. I also have 2 other fast cars and wasn't looking for a performance vehicle. My criteria was no six banger, I didn't care if it was the 305 TBI

If you're looking for performance, don't go 3rd gen unless you want to spend $$$$

if you are looking to 3rd gen because you like them, then fine

about the leather, I found a great deal from a guy about 50 miles away. He had all kinds of "factory" leather for different vehicles and happened to have it for an 89.

He wanted $500 and I think I paid $360 (give or take) and it was new, still in plastic

I did not use hog rings when i put the covers onto the seats but used tie wraps. I also restuffed the seats so they were nice and comfy for my tushy.

Camaro V8 1991

lots of camaros in the orlando fl area. IDK if you can afford to transport ($500-$700)

this car is tired and I would walk up, place 8 $100 bills in front of the guy with the flat bed in the driveway ready to "hook it"

if he said no, I might add 2 more but not a penny over $1,000

you're looking at a rebuild of engine/tranny, new interior and paint, tires, brakes and what's up w/those rims who knows what else is needed

and here you go

if this is real, I'd ask to see the receipts, check to see what parts he has and trailer it home if he had all the interior/exterior pieces

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4825485228.html

Last edited by torque_is_good; 01-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a 3rd gen....NEED advice bad!