Airbag???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Airbag???

does my 91 rs have a airbag? its got a goofy steerting wheel on it, but i want to change it, so i need to know if i have one, and how i can take it off with giving myself a concossion lol will it go off if the battery is disconnected?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Airbag???

Find a nice solid wall, turn on the car and punch the gas until you collide into it and I'm sure you'll find your answer! But I dont recommend doing that [8D].

I'm sure you have an airbag steering wheel. They started adding airbags from 1990 and up. And I am pretty sure your 100% safe, after the battery is disconnected, to take the wheel off.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you have a stock steering wheel, then yes you do have an air bag. And disconnecting the battery is the safest way to go. The air bag needs electrical power to be set off.

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE 1st GEN RIDE OF THE MONTH HERE: http://snappoll.com/poll/306592.php

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Like Camaro 69 said if you have a stock steering wheel then you have an airbag, If you drop the panel underneath the column you will find a bright yellow clip with a red or blue plastic pin in it. Take out the pin and pull apart the clip. Now you can safely work around the airbag, it is disconnected. Just remember to reconnect it after your finnish, unless your selling and want to play a brutal trick on the next owner! JK!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

haha, nahh imma keep it i think...but i want a grant gt steeringwheel, them is noice!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Grant steering wheels are nice. I picked up this one on the cheap at PepBoys. http://www.grantproducts.com/pc-33-94-440.aspx
I love the look of the wheel. The only problem is when I have my top down, the sun might reflect into your face.

I dunno what the deal is with removing an airbag equipped steering wheel and replacing it with a non-airbagged steering wheel, but I imagine its nothing more than not connecting the airbag wire. Anyone else know for sure?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear member

The freaking GT emblem on the front of the steering wheel needs to pop right into place for the horn to work, or else its really confusing[:'(]Mine still dosent work and it always pops out.[:@] lol but they are really nice.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah im hopin it goes smoothly

Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Exclamation air bag help

i have a 1991 camaro rs and my infl rest light has been on since i bought it i took the airbag off and behind it there ws only one connector but there is a spot for a ground wire i believe, should i have one hooked up or is there another problem? thanks for your help

Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

After you disconnect the battery you should wait 20 to 30 minutes for the air bag coil to de-energize or you run the risk of it still firing. The coil takes 12 volts and converts it to about 50 volts to fire the charge in the inflator. From what I hear, they remain energized with a charge for a while after you disconect the battery.

Your "sup rest" light will be on all the time after you remove the bag, the system is looking for it durring start up and when it can't find it the light will stay on.

As far as I remember, only one plug with yellow wire behind the bag tucked into the wheel, no extra ground. That maybe for your horn buttons. As 91_Camaro_RS said there is another plug under the dash with the funky pin thing holding it togeather.

Quick Reply: Airbag???