91 rs paint job??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 91 rs paint job??

I have a 91 rs thats primered but needs re-primered i want to do it a deep royal blue color and make it super super shinny.... any ideas on how much primer, paint, and gloss im going to need? and maybe a price estimate? thanks

Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

It needs to be done right....It will need primered, blocked, primered, wet sanded and many coats of paint. This assumes the sheet metal is in PERFECT shape. I'm doing a resto of an 87 IROC and I'll be right around 10K for body and paint. I've replaced 3 QP's and did pillar repairs as well. So, I'd say budget 3-5K for a good quality job from a reputable body/paint guy.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Or, if you have a garage and the tools to do it i'd do a "backyard job" and have paint mixed at your local car paint place and just spray it yourself. would probably save alot on money and shouldn'tt look too bad i've done it a couple of times, just try to keep dust down tape up some tarps around it.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
3rd Gear Member

See my post above about correct....backyard jobs are for the tractor, not a car.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i looked up some stuff and i know how to paint it im just trying to get an idea of how much supplies i will need i got a quote on 4 gallons of primer 5 gallons of paint and 5 gallons of show car lacquer. I think that may be a little over kill from what ive heard but im not sure. i dont want to order it and get started and not have enough to finish but at the same time i dont want to order to much and waste money and have a bunch of left overs. as far as the sheet metal and body it is perfect. the previous owner took very good care of it. so if someone could please give me an idea of how much i will need? that would be very helpful. i talked to a few people and they said i could do it with 2 gallons of primer 3 gallons of paint and a gallon or 2 of gloss?

Last edited by sinfulrs; 09-27-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your numbers seem way off? A normal paint on a mid size car like a Camaro would take about a gallon, maybe 5 quates of paint. Less then a gallon of clear and less then a gallon of primer.

Do you have a HVPL gun??? the above numbers are with a standard gun. You should do better then that with a HVLP Gun.

Unless
You are changing colors and painting under the car the interior under the hood ect. THe only reason for more primer is if you need to block out the car 5 times. How many coats are you planning on? My last question Why laquer? Urethan Base coat Clear coat last 10 times as long as Laquer and you will get a better finish with less work. It requires lass skill and its not a fussy about the gun you use.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-27-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by djs383
See my post above about correct....backyard jobs are for the tractor, not a car.
With a little know how and a lot of work a backyard job can exceed what the factory did in the 90's. There is a reason the call it Body work and a Paint job. You can either get a good even paint by having the best gun and a clean booth or you can lay down 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear sanding each coat smooth between coats. Finsal wet sand starting with 800 and working you way down to 2000 grit. Buff to shine.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

so if i got a gallon of primer 2 gallons of paint and a gallon of clear i would be ok? how many coats does a gallon of paint give you?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Gorn,

That is true, but to do it "right" meaning all the nooks and crannies, you need to pull the doors, hatch, t-tops (if so equipped) windshield, mirrors, ground effects, decals, badges, and all the weatherstripping. Plus I've got a Pa car and I've yet to see a "perfect" body from an east coast car. I took care of it from when I parked it in 98 until I shipped it here to AZ to resto. Mine was "good" and I still did some sheet metal over. It wasn't until I got it up on a rack for the details of my motor swap that I noticed stuff like rocker panels, inner wheel well, etc. that I wasn't expecting, or remembered from when I left it. I've just seen some backyard jobs that werent primed/blocked well and then guys who put 12 coats of paint sans proper wet sanding. It looks good for a month then its like a snake trying to shed its skin....I have a good amount of experience painting as well. Hence my tractor reference, but I guess I'm more particular when it comes to cars. If he can do it for little money, then go for it.

Last edited by djs383; 09-27-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my body is in perfect condition the guy i bought it from was in the process of painting it so the body work is done but he ****ed up when he primed it. im redoing it...sanding it back down and all, im taking the trim and molding off but i dont think its necessary to pull the windows out. as long as you get all the doors jams and window edges and cover every inch of the body theres no need to do extra work and pull stuff off that you can tape up

Quick Reply: 91 rs paint job??